My Tractor Forum banner

Moving and Babysitting Gravelys

27K views 75 replies 37 participants last post by  Ariens93GT20 
#1 ·
I have been reading threads and posts here in the Gravely Forum about one or another of us looking only wistfully at tractors or special parts for sale that we want, but are just too far, as a practical matter, to go get them.

I know there is a forum on MTF wherein members post ads asking for transportation help. Very few replies.

So how about this?

The idea is to use services like UShip to move the part to a fellow Gravely forum member who could then hold it until the buyer comes to pick it up? Obviously that member might be way closer to the seller so as to save shipping costs. Maybe the "babysitter" would even be willing to go fetch the part and save shipping altogether - except for some gas reimbursement.

I can imagine being disinclined to go get a tractor that is a six, ten, twelve hour drive that has to be done right now, but might be happy to make a trip of half or three quarters that distance on my own schedule to spend a little time with another Gravely nut and pick up the tractor he'd been storing for me.

Imagine going to the mow-in in the Fall, but making a 2 or 3 hour detour to go pick something up. Or even having someone who is hauling stuff to the mow-in anyway putting your new-to-you motor on his trailer and you meeting him there?

Anyway, just a thought, inspired by tractortag, here:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=540137

See less See more
#2 ·
You mean a parts relay.
I don't have a truck that I'd trust past the 100 mile AAA tow. My trailer has no springs and is a bear over 40mph, BUT, I could be a relay STATION. I've got a place you can/could drop it off for someone else to pick it up. I'm 10 minutes off route 95 in CT so it's fairly convenient.

We need a few rules that's all. Reasonable guidelines help everyone come together and leave with their parts in a happy mood.

I could hold things for one (spring, summer, fall) month. Nothing in the winter. Everything has to be gone by Nov. 15th. No deliveries before April 1st.
(If you drop your parts off October 29th realize it's got to be gone by Nov.15th)
I need to be there when you drop it off.
I'll tell you where to place it.
You have to help off load or load.
If it leaks you have to contain it.
No partials - take the whole thing when it goes.
Your truck/trailer? You lash it down with your rigging when you leave.
Need to have it covered. You supply the tarp and tiedowns.
Palletized is perfect.
Less than a thousand pound limit.

I would do everything possible to protect it but, Not responsible for damage/loss.
Your accessibility to your parts is the limit of my responsibility.
I need to be there for retrieval.
I will help in loading.
You have to have ID to pick it up.
We have to schedule best times for both of us for drop off / pick up.
Pick up and drop off - 9am -9pm
Will not accept shipments from commercial freight services.
No HazMat materials so empty that gas tank, fuel filter and the lines too.
I need contact info for both the new owner/ old owner / driver.
You need to contact me no less than three days before drop off/ pick up.
To be clear, you are welcome to leave it here for pick up no longer than 30 days, no earlier than April 1st no later then Nov 15th. I am not responsible for any damage/or loss to any tractor parts or related parts left here.
This offer is for short term storage of tractor parts only - Please do not show up with your tool box intending to work on your machinery. This is a residence not a shop.

How's that? Only common sense requests so that everyone knows what to expect. No "I didn't know, what do I do now?" moments at 8:45 pm, Sunday night, in the rain, November 13th. This way there's no making it up as we go, everyone gets the same guidelines so it's fair to everyone.
Here's the chance to live your ideals and to make a positive impact.

#3 ·
Yes, a parts relay. Very well put. Sort of the Gravely Pony Express. :)

Yes, good ideas on the rules, too. No one likes surprises - at least not of the kind your post suggests could (and probably would) happen.

#6 ·
Marcintosh. You gave that some thought to that sir. Well laid out, no doubt. And you are in a strategic spot. Is it toward the NY Border end of I95 in CT?

I don't have the room to do as you suggest, but could store small parts. I once moved a set of gear reduction wheels to L.I. from NE Massachussetts. I did so because good Gravely people asked nicely, and I was going that way anyway

Steve is a great guy and brought something to his home from the mow-in in IN last year that i picked up about a month later. He's a great guy, and some day there will be a time to return a favor i hope.

I have referred to this brotherly help in my thread I.F.O.G.B. (eye fog bee) and think it works best in an Informal way, like Steven worked out for me. I think the genius of the Informal Fraternal Order of Gravely Brethren is in the first word.

Marcintosh's well organized list of "how it works" would serve as a very good template.

#12 ·
Marcintosh. *snip* And you are in a strategic spot. Is it toward the NY Border end of I95 in CT?
*snip*
Marcintosh's well organized list of "how it works" would serve as a very good template.
about in the middle - 10-15 minutes outside New Haven.

Thanks about the template - Most folks are really great. It's just that sometimes they get so busy working to make something happen they forget to pick their head up and look around - so to speak. That list is just a list of suggestions to help people remember.

And now it looks like we've got eight people on board for the Temp Storage program. How great is that. :thThumbsU

#9 ·
There's a bunch of people just off 95 on your way up. It might get to the point where your trip to Maine could take a week just in travel and visit time. :)

#11 ·
i'd be happy to help, i'm right off of i-91 and only 5 mins from the 84 interchange in hartford, as long as whatever is bought is ok to sit out under a tarp i have plenty of room in my fenced back yard. as long as its under 45 mins away i could always pick up the items as i have a truck with a full 8 foot bed.

#13 ·
I'll jump in as #9. I am im SE WV just off of I-64, about a half hour west of the state line and about 2.5 hours SE of Jason. I have storage space and I'm willing to help out.

I like the template a lot but I'm also very much on the Informal side too. In short, I'm easy to work with.

#14 ·
I'll be in it to. I'm in Missouri off of I-44 around Fort Leonard Wood. Military so we do some traveling back to WV and NY to see family.

Sent from the MTF Free App

#15 ·
I'll join. I'm in southern Maryland about 5 minutes from the Harry Nice Bridge going into VA on US-301. I have covered space but it's pretty full with my stuff. Lots of property though and I don't mind covering something up with a tarp, or holding the small stuff inside.I make a couple trips a year to various places on the eastern seaboard. If it'll fit in the trailer or truck with my stuff then I have no problem hauling it back or up along my route. I only ask for some money for fuel in return.

#16 ·
I make it to most of the swap meets and I'm just off of I77 near the Ohio-West Virginia border. About a hour from Richards Lawn & Garden. I have available storage room. It's nice to have a 28'x42' basement of a rental house that I keep for storage next to the garage. I shuffle the stuff I'm working on into the shop and the stuff I'm not into the basement. Jason

#17 ·
I'm happy to help. I don't have much in the way of transport capability, but I do have some storage.

Central mass, midway between Boston and Worcester.

#19 ·
For the record, I am obviously up for this, too. I have little indoor storage left but would be happy to put something under a tarp behind my shed. No one will bother it but the local wildlife (4-legged variety). I can, of course, store smaller items (transmission, engine, that sort of thing) indoors.

I am also willing to travel up to an hour or so to fetch an item for someone. I have a 5x8 1200lb trailer, so I can even get a whole tractor. It has to be a runner, though, as I have no winch. Gas money would be nice. No charge for labor. I'm too old and slow for my labor to be worth much! :)

Our place is 5 minutes from I70 and not too far from I95 in central Maryland.

I hope to do the Gravely meet in Chambersburg this Spring and the Mow-in in October. If anyone needs a haul either way, let me know.

#22 ·
I'm actually going to MI and back over the next 2 weeks, If somebody is moving a part.

Also save me some time, someone, please. Where and when is the mow-in this August?

#26 ·
If someone wants to drop anything in Maryland to load onto part of that southbound G.A.S.-mobile, shout!

#27 ·
Would be careful, let one Gravely get stored at our home, six years later and 7 trailer loads of essentially rusty Gravely scrap and our "Sanford and Sanford Son Yard" was finally back to normal. Having your own storage , I. E. Home, property and finances take priority before buying a lot of Gravelys and stuff. In the day, if I did not need it sell it ASAP!! My supply of Gravely units is diminishing quick and my desire is just to own one of each model along with various other tractors. So far moving along quickly!

#28 ·
I have two trailer options, a small 8' unit up to 2K GVW and a larger 18' with sides that I haul cars on. I have ramps and a small winch that works for cars.

My storage is similar to others; very limited inside but I have over 60 acres so outside is no problem as no one lives within a mile from me. I travel some for things but no pattern to it. I went to the Philadelphia area Saturday (4.5 hrs one-way) to get a 5665 an then today just north of Pittsburgh to get some attachments and ended up bringing back my first ever L that I thought I may trade for something with it. I make all the mow ins within PA as well as maybe a regional meet sometimes. If something interests me, I generally just go get it within a reasonable distance. If I can help someone out, let me know.

#29 ·
I'm on board for storage, depending on time of year if its inside or outside. I can cover things with tarp if I don't have inside storage. I'm in Delaware about midway between Dover and Wilmington. Let me know if I can help. P.S. All my services are free......

#30 ·
Hello all, normally I would not be so desperate to get my 8199kt from greenland, nh. to Minnesota but I have tried, tried, and tried with no luck...got a quote from uship and the results were very poor...I do have a trucking co. ready but their dispatch is still trying to find a driver and that has been 3 weeks after them telling me they would pick it up last week...so I am going to make one last ditch effort to get it close to wi, il, or even western Indiana or close to Chicago...even iowa.. so if you are close to Greenland , nh, and going west towards mn. give me a shout.. the trucking co. which I have a down pymt. on. they will refund my monies if they do not come through but meanwhile if I find a better solution I will look into it..cost for trucking is 900.00
Fastenal does not have the capacity to ship that item...
so I need help on getting a gravely 8199kt with attached blower, and a 50.0" deck and a snow blade...I do not expect you fellows to do this for free....you will be reimbursed...thanks in advance...

#39 ·
so if you are close to Greenland , nh, and going west towards mn. give me a shout
Guys, I'm feeling a little worried about this orphaned 8199 KT. It sits in Greenland, NH, which is a suburb of Portsmouth. It is right on I-95, an hour north of Boston, and 2-/12 hours from Hartford. I KNOW we can get a pony express relay lined up to move this thing.

#32 ·
I could pick up within reasonable distance and store under a tarp in NW CT. Keeping in mind that once it's here the clock is ticking and if it's here too long it may have formed friendships with other herd members that are hard if not impossible to break, lol.

#33 ·
In the off chance someone ever finds anything around here in Minnesota, (good luck with that, btw) I can pick up/transport/store/ship here. Willing to travel to pick up and store an itemyou have bought and paid for as long as a time period as necessary. Also willing to drain/prep/palletize and ship through Fastenal. (you pay for shipping) You pay for material used for packaging above and beyond a pallet, and for gas. (3 gallons at current price) (driving truck to work and back instead of car, 3 gallon difference)

Transport
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

Inside storage
Property Home House Building Siding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.