My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a GT225 (pictured below with 42C Deck), which I bought brand new in 2001. It has been a great machine overall, but I live on a hill and mow an acre. The 15HP Kohler Command is a little bit weak for my size (I'm 6'6" and weigh 310) and the hills, and it bogs down frequently. I have my eye on the 455 with the 22HP Yanmar Diesel. What should I expect to get selling my GT225, and what should I expect to pay for a 455 with low hours?

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
My guesstimates:

You should be able to get about $1800-$2000 (the latter number an a GOOD day!) for your machine.
Expect to pay about $4000 for a 445 with LOW hours.
About 5 yrs ago I picked up a 200 hour 445 in MINT condition from my dealer for $4000...I got a GREAT DEAL. The market is softer now...but Green and Yellow are still....green and yellow.

I see your in New York... I have a MINT 70 hour Ingersoll with rm48 deck and 38" Snowcaster for sale if you want to stray from///green amd yellow!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Harryc you sure kept that 225 in great cond. I can't help you on the prices but I am 6'3" 290 and my choice for mowing is my 345 18hp never lacking for power even in tall grass my land is also hilly and I run wheel weight's and mow 3 of my ten acres. That said the 455 might be overkill on 1 acre unless you plan on doing heavy work with it. I also have the 425 and it is a great tractor but the 345 is much nicer for mowing and I can make better time with it. The 425 does about everything else. BILL

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bill, that is one of the things I was wondering about with the 455. It might be just too much tractor for what I need. I'd like a mower for the hills and a snow blower. I have looked into another option. There is a repower recommended at small engine warehouse for the GT225. It is an 18HP Kohler Command CV493T-27512-FPP. (link below). That might just be the ticket if you say your 345 18HP has good power. You are about my size.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=CV493T-27512-FPP
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=John Deere&Model=GT225

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Harry the repower might be an option if the rest of the tractor suit's you and a set of wheel weights make's a big difference on the hill's both up and down and side hill and the 18hp on my 345 is running a 54 mower. The 425 I bought more for snowplowing and other duty around here and it does do some mowing and the best reason I alway's wanted one. It would be tough to give up on a tractor that was obviously very well taken care of like your's. Keep us posted. BILL

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I would go sit on and test drive that 455. 6'6" might be a bit more comfy with more leg room. I know the only tractor we had that my 6'5" father would/could use was the 400.

How much hill do you have? The 455's locking differential might be nice too.

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much hill do you have? The 455's locking differential might be nice too.
Well, it's all hill, and towards the top there is a wet spot, particularly in the spring after the snow melts. A locking differential might come in handy. I'd say the incline is 30 degrees continuous. If you look at the slope at the back of this picture, that is it ...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Harryc,
I also have a 2001 GT225 in equally good condition that I bought in May 2009. Asking price was $2000, I paid $1700 and that was 3 season ago. I'm in upstate NY. At least at the time, $1700 was about my limit on the GT225. I was also looking at a number of GT235s, both older Briggs units and newer Kawasaki powered. I could have picked up a Briggs powered GT235 for about $2200 in excellent condition or $2500-2700 for a Kawasaki newer unit. I was looking for lowest cost and the owner was willing to go for $1700. If he held at $2K, I would passed for at least the older Briggs powered unit for $2200. In hindsight, I probably should have bought a GT235 with a 48" deck, either one. The GT225 has the 42" deck which I have since upgrade to a 48". I much prefer the 48" over the 42" and I've come to find out that good condition, reasonably priced used decks are hard to come by. $2K might be a good starting asking price, but I'd probably be willing to take less.

Since you mention a repower, you might want to see if you upgrade to a GT235 V-twin repower.
Here's a 20HP Vanguard for a GT235 repower:
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=358777-0121

I don't know what it would take to move up to the Vtwin, but other than engines, I think the GT225 and 235 are fairly identical.
:goodl:

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I looked around at all my options, including a new JD LT, and I decided to repower my GT225. The reasons are; First, it has a Tuff Torq K71B hydro transaxle, and they are rock solid. Second is that I know it like the back of my hand and that would not be the case with a new/used machine. The third reason is that this is not a winter machine (I have one heck of a snowblower for those needs.) and I do not have a vegetable garden, so I do not need fancy hydraulics. Finally, I am rebuilding the steering and by the time I am done with that and the repower I will virtually have a new (GT235) machine for @ $1K...not to mention the fact that I should be able to sell the Kohler 15HP easily for a hundred bucks or so. I'll post pics of the repower and the steering rebuild. Future plans include a 48" deck, a JD cart, a JD sweeper, and a JD bagger. I'll also be keeping my eye out for a Tuff Torq K71C with a locking differential. I understand that is a direct swap with some linkage routing.

·
Super Moderator
33,752 Posts
Harryc, sounds like you came up with a solution that best fits your needs! We'll be looking forward to your upgrades......:wwp: :wwp:!!

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
Good luck with the upgrades! Be sure to let us know how it works out (some might want some pics too).

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The new engine arrived from SEW the other day, and I finally had some time to go turn some wrenches today. Here's progress so far;

Opening the box from SEW -

SEW said their Kohler Command repower needed the flywheel, starter, fuel pump, and voltage regulator from my old engine. So step one was to retrieve those parts.

Removed the hood and engine shroud, along with the flywheel screen and fan.

Time to pull the flywheel.

One loud pop later ...

Parts retrieved, mission accomplished.

A bunch of (4) letter words later because of a frozen (onto the crankshaft ) traction belt pulley(PB Buster rules BTW). Ready for the new engine ...

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
Looks good so far!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Awesome, how much for the new engine?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Harryc you sure kept that 225 in great cond. I can't help you on the prices but I am 6'3" 290 and my choice for mowing is my 345 18hp never lacking for power even in tall grass my land is also hilly and I run wheel weight's and mow 3 of my ten acres. That said the 455 might be overkill on 1 acre unless you plan on doing heavy work with it. I also have the 425 and it is a great tractor but the 345 is much nicer for mowing and I can make better time with it. The 425 does about everything else. BILL
I use a 425 on 1 acre and think it's perfect. I have a hilly yard as well. I also have a 54 inch deck. I went from a 400 with a 60 inch deck to this so my perspective is a little different. The 425/445/455 series of tractor is highly manueverable compared to a 400 plus it has power steering, more comfortable seat.

Someone on here just gave $4000 for a lower hour well maintained 455. I would say somewhere in the low 4k range is a good buy but these things are all over the map depending on how proud the seller is.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts