My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a 'built up' K341 into a Charger. The motor oil pan has the shorter 5x7 mounting bolt pattern. I was going to deal with this by using 1/4" x 1 1/2" flat stock bolted to the motor and then drilled for the larger bolt pattern. Trouble is when this is bolted to the engine, the bolt heads will space the motor mount away from the frame. The second set of mounting bolts will have to have a spacer between the motor mount and frame to match.
Is this a good idea? Or should I just drill new holes in the frame? Will it weaken the frame?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think you could do it the way you mentioned if heighth is not a problem or maybe put studs sticking up on the mount to the engine by using threaded rod through some pre-drilled holes and welding them on the backside and grinding smooth.That's if you have a welder at home and the drilling holes in the orig frame is out of the question.I always think of a way to use my welder LOL I just realized you said flat stock,maybe 2 pieces one for each side? I am thinking of 1/8'' or so plate the size of the engine bottom or larger.Maybe to support the bottom of the engine from torque or twisting.Actually I would probably weld a 3/4'' angle on each side of a plate and it would put the base
up about 3/4'' and you could drill the angled sides and bolt them to the original frame? All depending if the heighth doesn't hurt.Or if you know a metal fabricator they could bend you a stepped plate like that maybe.For us crazy tractor people no job is too big.:eek:mg:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Why not weld a steel plate into the frame and drill the holes for the new motor, or something like that. I would think you could also drill the new holes in the frame and it would not hurt the integrity of the frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts