My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my "Wiring a Solenoid" tread went from electrical issue to motor is junk I decided to replace the engine. I found a used engine for it yesterday and am going to swap it out today. It looks very strait forward but I have one concern. The pulley on the bottom of the engine. Looks like a bolt on the bottom of the crank and it should pull off. I know people on here have probably pulled a million of these so is there any tricks? I am kind of scared it is going to be rusted on since I am sure it has not been off in 15 years. Also do you remove the belts first or just slide it off and back on the new engine with them on? I haven't looked at how they come off yet so hopefully thats easy to see. It is a MTD with a 12.5 B&S.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I take the belts off.
Then remove the bolt and see if the pulley falls off. Mine did. Even the one with the electric pto, to my surprise....THUNK!
The pulley usualy has a square key keeping it so it won't turn on the shaft.
If it won't fall off, a little penetrating oil squirted up the shaft might help. Let it sit. Maybe shove a rag up in the hole after you put the oil stuff in, keeps it from running out.
A gentle tap on the center of the pulley may help.
There have been countless dscussion in the past, so for other ideas, use the search option (upper right) using 'stuck pulley'.

Just make sure that your old one is 100% junk before giving up on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. it actually came right off. I was a bit worried since 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the engine on were so rusted they snapped right off. Took it off with the belts on but I will have to do a bit of search action to find out how to put them back on. Should be same as changing them out but don't see a adjuster on them to loosen up for a change. I'm just happy the old one came off so easy.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Whew! I've heard of some real tough ones.
Put the belt on the biggest pulley, last. Also, if your machine has two pulleys close to one another that hold a tension on the belt, they should give you enough slack to put the belt on over the biggest pulley. Put one side on first, then 'worry' it on around the remaining portion of the pulley. Watch them fingers!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it running. I ended up putting the belts on the pulley before I mounted the engine down. I read a suggestion in an old post on here to try that.

Fired right up and went out in the rain and cut one swath around the yard. Just have to fix one small fuel leak in the sediment bowl on the carb and find some bolts to replace the ones on the hood that were really rusty and I will call it good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts