My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old red 782 has been burning oil for a while. Today after it had been running for a few minutes it suddenly started blowing lots of smoke. Should I tear down the motor and attempt to rebuild it, repower the old tractor, or just consign it to the junk pile?

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
My old red 782 has been burning oil for a while. Today after it had been running for a few minutes it suddenly started blowing lots of smoke. Should I tear down the motor and attempt to rebuild it, repower the old tractor, or just consign it to the junk pile?
See what's wrong with it. Alternative is a $6000 machine with a bunch of Chinese plastic junk parts on it. If the engine was beyond repair I'd locate a donor engine on FB Marketplace

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the engine is KT Series one I would opt to replace with a KT series two or repower with a new engine.
I believe it's a KT series one. Long ago a mechanic told me that he had never had much luck rebuilding this type engine. His suggestion was to replace it if it ever died. I'm just not sure I can justify spending that much money on a 40-year-old tractor.

·
Super Moderator
28,809 Posts
Well, the condition of the remainder of the machine would be the issue, with proper maintenance they are made to last longer. Small Engine Warehouse will have drop in replacement engine kits, they aren't necessarily cheap but will give it new life:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts