My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what to do to get the motor at most performance. and where and how do i get the motor bored? i know what it is, but how do i get the piston to take up the room if i bore it to .020 over? and what about valves if i just wanna wait on the bore of the motor what can i do to do the valves to get them better or what have. And also i've heard about shaving the head, what does that do and is it worth it to do? So what im basicall trying to do is get the most i can the CHEAPEST way i can. Thanks Joe

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Joe it's been my experience that the way to get lot's of horsepower is to add cubic inches and/or cubic money.

Quickest way to get more power from a single cylinder I know of is to have the head milled down. This is done in a machine shop. It's also tough on the rest of the engine as you are raising the compression. You really need to understand the internal combustion engine if you want to hot rod one. There is a lot about valve timing, ignition and fuel flow along with exhaust handling that enter into getting the most from the engine.

I'd suggest a few weeks of reading and understanding what it is you want to do prior to making a trek to the machine shop and spending your money.

There will be folks along that are into building small engines which is not my forte. I've built several "hot rod" engines and a lot of others over the years and the basics follow thru but I'm not familiar with these little engines for your needs.

The most expensive method is jumping in prior to understanding what you really need and want IMO.

Mike

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
welcome hope you enjoy

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Kinda hard to bore an electric motor....
Now if you put in an engine thats another story...

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Ya, you have to rewind a motor to gain speed. Did that a lot in the 60's with slot cars.
Dave:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts