My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subject of Moto Tugs was brought up, so here are some pictures that I have on file..

click on the attachment (twice) for a larger view

Attachments

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Interesting, thanks for posting this. Never knew there was such a machine made from the Fords.

Mike

·
Registered
585 Posts
looks like it came with a horn too don't know bout then but now at most airlines you have to beep every time you change direction or start to move on a tug

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos nice looking tugs yep working on the dist would be fun.

·
Banned
587 Posts
Those pictures brings back memories. We had these Moto Tugs on aircraft carriers back in early 1950's when I was in the Navy during and after the Korean war. We called them "plane tuggers" as they were used to tow and push planes around on the flight deck. I can remember one time during the Korea war, two of the Moto Tug drivers decided they would dare who could race up the flight deck an stop within five feet of the forward deck edge. These two crazies started at the fantail (aft) edge and race to a chain cable that was stretched across the front deck. The one that stopped at the chain won. It seems one driver didn't apply the brakes when he should have and went right off the deck which was some 110' feet above the sea right into the blue Pacific ocean, which was about 2700 feet deep. Needles to say that was the last time anyone tried that stunt.

Here are a few showing the color and, etc. Would love to have my old AD Skyraider back.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Those pictures brings back memories. We had these Moto Tugs on aircraft carriers back in early 1950's when I was in the Navy during and after the Korean war. We called them "plane tuggers" as they were used to tow and push planes around on the flight deck. I can remember one time during the Korea war, two of the Moto Tug drivers decided they would dare who could race up the flight deck an stop within five feet of the forward deck edge. These two crazies started at the fantail (aft) edge and race to a chain cable that was stretched across the front deck. The one that stopped at the chain won. It seems one driver didn't apply the brakes when he should have and went right off the deck which was some 110' feet above the sea right into the blue Pacific ocean, which was about 2700 feet deep. Needles to say that was the last time anyone tried that stunt.

Here are a few showing the color and, etc. Would love to have my old AD Skyraider back.

cool to have someone who saw them in use them old airplanes were cool looking i know the jets today have more power and capabilities etc. but they don't have the look of the old piston powered fighters and bombers. Oh and like i try to tell all veterans i meet THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE AND SACRIFICES we owe you more than we could ever repay.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I called a friend of mine when a 2n industrial came up for sale in my area. We when up and he bought it this past week. While there we did a little picking and we found a spark arrester gas tank in one of the sheds as shown in Ken's 3rd photo down on the left. It also had a brass segement bowl as used in the '39 model. Since Bob has a couple of Tugs and aluminum '39's when the guy told him give me 20 bucks for it Bob almost ripped his pocket off getting the money out.
I managed to pick up a couple sets of ARPS front snowplow brackets and a straight hundred series drawbar. Still Nego on another Tractor. Was a good day picking.

Kirk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.