My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i usually get them with no spark. what seems to be the most common reason someone gives up for the rest of ya?

·
Registered
246 Posts
CARB CLOGGed on most of em, had a "blown engine" once i put a new solinoid on and it cranked up. Alot of people just dont want to bother learning how to work on em and just buy new ones.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
half the fun for me is getting them started after "they" say its junked. makes me :)

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
When my buddy and I used to aquire walkers, snow blowers and riders during "Spring Cleanup", the primary no go we found was "bad gas" and broken starter ropes.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my vac was a bad gas fix

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
bad gas and clogged carbs for pushers and bad decks and wiring issues for riders,for example picked up a nice 1 owner Deere stx 38 recently for $75 bucks because the guy thought the electric pto clutch was out within minutes of getting it home I found a broke wire been mowing with it since!:fing32:

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Bad gas mostly. Also bad or corroded solenoids contacts. It seems like solenoids are one of the the least understood electrical components in the system.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,219 Posts
I've gotten a number of tractors with the reason being "this things gotta go, I need the room". Not just cheap, free. 16G Gravely, 8169 Gravely just to name a couple.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My cousin just got a Craftsman 2 onan powered gt/18 with a bad rearend for 100 bucks. The guy selling it said it wouldn't move at all either forward or reverse. Got it home and the high/low selector was in neutral, put it gear and it works fine high and low range.

Edit: From what I can tell, the reason a lot of tractors are cheap is stupidity.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
My main push mowers are a LB 10323 which had a bad CDI pack and a JD P21 that I paid $5 for and put a diaphragm in and have been using for the last 10 years. Roger

·
Banned
2 Posts
My cousin just got a Craftsman 2 onan powered gt/18 with a bad rearend for 100 bucks. The guy selling it said it wouldn't move at all either forward or reverse. Got it home and the high/low selector was in neutral, put it gear and it works fine high and low range.

Edit: From what I can tell, the reason a lot of tractors are cheap is stupidity.

yes i have seen this myself lol

·
I have my bear skin
698 Posts
Messed up carbs are the common issue around here. People don't want to learn how to fix them,so they sell them.....which is fine with me!

JD40

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Around here,its the COST of having one fixed at a REAL mower shop,that discourages most folks from getting one repaired (same goes for cars too!)...when someone has to shell out 60+ bucks an hour for someone to "look at it" and just diagnose the problem,then add on whatever the cost is for parts and labor,they usually say screw that,I'll buy a new one and JUNK this POS...(unfortunately most of these people will NOT give it to someone who'll fix it,instead they delight in selling it for scrap iron or destroying it so its useless to anyone,THEN scrap it at the dump or a scrapyard..or they leave it at the mower shop,and they will either scrap it or refuse to sell it "whole",but are glad to charge you an arm and a leg for parts off it!..

Lack of maintenence and abuse is also why there is no shortage of tractors with blown engines,nearly every one I work on for someone has hardly ANY oil showing on the dipstick,or its as black as tar and looks like its been in it since day 1!..gummed up carbs and dead magnetos are also things I see often that lead to them being junked..or sold dirt cheap..a LOT of OHV engined tractors get scrapped because they blow a head gasket and start smoking like crazy,instantly they think "blown engine"--same with the Briggs that wont spin over right due to bent pushrods or maladjusted valves,broken compression releases,those engines get labeled as "seized up" and scrapped for no good reason far too often..

mostly its because people are clueless about mechanical things and when they hear what the "pros" charge to fix one,they decide its time to be done with it..

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Because there made by MTD ??
Hey!! I agree just pure stupidity. Like running on no oil way too much oil oil that has never been changed, bad gas, solenoid, carb, (Dirty carb is how I got my Honda push mower)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

That's a good one! :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts