My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about my well problems, apparently the 1/2hp pump is wearing out . Well is 85 ft. deep (I'm on top of a hill, so not deep at all). I've been here 40 years, replaced pump twice (other 2 were 3/4hp).
Our water quality is excellent, neighbors drill 200ft or so and have iron water.
I believe it's in an aquifer. If you walk downhill from well house about 400 feet there's a spring I have which by estimate is 85 feet below well.
It's always been if you open well spigot you can get maybe 40 gallons or so...then it goes to a trickle. Years ago I filled a fish pond overnight no problem by having valve adjusted low.
It's always been fine, I shower, wait 20 minutes, run washing machine, etc.
A plumbing co was scheduled to replace pump today but it's been raining and will for a week!
We have water now, but I have it set for 30psi.
A few questions:
1) Why the capacity problem? In 40 years though we're always had water even in severe drought.
2) Originally had 3/4hp pump, 1/2 hp in now put in maybe 15 years ago. Some say too much hp like a 1hp it short cycles?
3) can new pump be put in lower? I assume measure, then it has to be a certain distance from bottom.
I'm getting so many opinions it's hard to sort out.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
There is more to a pump than just horsepower. There is also the number of stages which determines how high and with how much pressure it can push water up. Not enough stages and it risks dead-heading. Dead-heading risks a meltdown. If the pump is hung on plastic pipe, the heat can cause the pipe to fail.

If you incorrectly size a pump to the static water level, it can cause the pump to up-thrust on start. The up-thrust can shave off the tops of the volutes and that will cause the pump to no longer produce the pressure it once did.

If the pump draws down the level to the point is sucks air, that can cause a loss of prime that it might not recover from without a power cycle. If you are at risk of drawing down the well too far, then it is prudent to install run-dry protection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts