My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another question. This time about my 7256. In the pic below, what is that part that I circled and pointed an arrow at? It looks to be sticking out further than the one on my 6255. Lower oil seal? I thought that it would be up further. I am new to these older pre-1976 D engines (D400 series engines). I have much interest in them. They seem to be some of the best and most reliable engines built IMHO. TIA!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
It is alot lower than where the one on my 5232 is. Mine is flush with the housing.
I have to agree that the d400 is of the best / simplist engine that LB put out. Very powerful IMO, too.

MU

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
It is alot lower than where the one on my 5232 is. Mine is flush with the housing.
I have to agree that the d400 is of the best / simplist engine that LB put out. Very powerful IMO, too.

MU
I'll vote for the non-compliant F series as being the "simplest" design. The ignition/govenor setup takes the D series out IMHO.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Those dual bushing engines are the best D-400's because of the added protection of the extended shaft. Less chance of a bent crank...

The later D-400's didn't have the extended shaft...

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
An oil seal is kinda like a bushing... Just pressed in... It could be the block was not bored deep enough or it was just not pressed in far enough... It looks like its doing its job just fine ... i would say dont touch...

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those dual bushing engines are the best D-400's because of the added protection of the extended shaft. Less chance of a bent crank...

The later D-400's didn't have the extended shaft...
I have examples of both. I really like the early D400's. Some of the best built, I just can't say that enough!:fing32:

·
4,275 Posts
Are you familiar with the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
I have lost track of the number of times I have screwed stuff up "fixing it".

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Don't take seals out of running engines! If you need seals bad enough buy them at a lawnboy dealer or a NAPA.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't take seals out of running engines! If you need seals bad enough buy them at a lawnboy dealer or a NAPA.
Both of my D600 pushes need their lower oil seals replaced badly! And my commercial brick is getting there, not just yet though.....:praying:

Hey guys, this hobby has been going great for me in the past few weeks. I have alot more patience for this hobby and find it alot more fun and interesting! I don't change my mind like underwear anymore, so I have more patience. But, I have changed my mind on one thing- early D400 engines are better than any engines IMHO! Anyways, my collection is expanding and getting more fun to have. Especially since my latest finds (8F20K, 7256, and 6255 commercial brick.) Thanks for any encouragement that you guys may have given me to help make this hobby more enjoyanle for me (MUCH more enjoyable!)

-Colin

·
Registered
682 Posts
I am surprised that my 8480 with the use it has gotten that the seal is perfectly dry. When I had the blade off to sharen it the blade adaptor that so many of you have trouble with fell off when I took the blade off. So I know it will come apart if I need to get to the muffler.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts