My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my recently acquired Simplicity Regent:
So... it has a bad PTO clutch, and needs a new 'clutch anchor' says the PO.

I buy a new PTO clutch (yikes $$$$) and come to find out...

1. Under PO ownership a shop stuck a bolt up in the end of the crankshaft. I can't get it out. Engine turns over. I don't have large enough vise grips, and my channellocks (sears brand) are not working as they should. So I remove spark plug plug, put rope in engine. Same problem. Pull out rope. Think it over. Curse, etc. HELP ME before I drive it into a lake and cut my losses.

2. Where is the wiring plug for the PTO? I do see a small section of wiring that is clean compared to the rest of the tractor, a black wire and orange- that appear to have been cut off.:dunno:

3. What's this thing (metal hockey puck type thing that appears to have had clutch material facing it at one time) on the crankshaft?

pic 1: belly of the beast... and 'hockey puck'.
2: wires
3: location of wires (along frame near hydro control pedals and brake/clutch pedal)

Attachments

·
Tractor Nerd
3,239 Posts
What I do is on my little prestige there is 2 pulley's. One is for hydro. Other is pto for attachments like mower/blower (clutch). What I do to get the center bolt out is wrap a old belt around the hydro pulley. Sometimes I even have to put a vice grips on the belt to get a good grip on it. Then get a ratchet on the center bolt and give it a good twist. Sometimes even a quick hammer hit will pop it. If that didn't work, I would heat the bolt up with a torch, tap the head of the bolt with a hammer which might break it loose. Should come off.

·
Me
542 Posts
Yeah if you could hold the pulley still an Impact wrench hould pop it right off. That's what I use on mower blade center bolts, or other bolts that are on a spinning shaft if I can get the shaft stable. The impact wrench will pop it off. Never tried that exact pulley though.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The "hockey puck" is the inner part of the busted PTO clutch.

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once I get the bolt off (the flywheel nut sounds like the best way to go here... my garage wiring won't let my air compressor run. Burnt out the motor on my old one (1970s Craftsman and I got a good deal on a very similar sized devilbiss compressor (both 20 gal)).

So... I'm stuck going at it the way our distant ancestors did it. :/ or... Maybe I'll run it over to the neighbor guy's house and have him take an impact to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts