My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using my 22040/22031 and 22684 Toro Suzuki 2 cycle mowers almost exclusively this summer alternating between the 3. I really love the 22684 for it's lightness, the 22040 and 22031 commercials for their power and most of all th eegines sound so sweet and SMOOTH. I used a neighbors V series that I tuned up and couldn't believe how much it vibrated compared to the smooth sweet Suzukis.

My lawn is huge, I mow nonstop for almost 2 hours and then have 30 min of trimming before blowing grass off patios and decks. I enjoy the fact that I can fill up the Suzuki's once and still have enough gas to mow the lawn completely the 3rd week if I need to-those tanks are huge and the 'Zuks sip fuel. Even the 22684 with a small non commerical tank will do my lawn twice without stopping..tremendous fuel consumption rate. They really do sip the fuel compared to my DFs that need a tank and a half (they are jetted) to finish the lawn once, and even the F series will baaaarrreeelllly make it to the finish of the lawn ONCE.

Additionally, after mowingthat long my ears even with ear protection still can tell a difference in the quiteness of the suzukis versus the F and DF sound. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of each just the vibraitons of the F and DF after 2 hours really starts to wear on me. Not so with the Suzukis very smooth and very little fatigue from the vibrations.

What's the point of this post George? Just wanted to say that if you get the chance to go RED, take a shot at a Toro Suzuki-I think you'll love them. I still have my lawnboys but they are not being used...:sorry1:

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
I alternate between a LB bricktop and my 22040 here at home and the bricktop is a guzzler compared the the Toro on the fuel consumption..It amazes me how much different they are.

No matter what, I still can't shake that old Bricktop buzz....

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
Well George just glad you are carrying on the 2 stroke tradition, even though it's not Lawnboys anymore I suppose we will overlook that...this time.LOL Hey how are the bricktop restores going, can you post some pics of those old classics?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well George just glad you are carrying on the 2 stroke tradition, even though it's not Lawnboys anymore I suppose we will overlook that...this time.LOL Hey how are the bricktop restores going, can you post some pics of those old classics?
I haven't had time (started a new career) to start the restore on mine (brick), the other is now with Timberwolf. I hope to get to it this winter but it runs so good and is in such good shape it's almost worth leaving it as it is.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
GTP you perfectly described my experience with the Suzuki's as well. That was the 1st and only toro I have owned. I ended up selling it, but they are just so smooth! Oh and compared to a V-series Wow yeah that is night and day, those are loud too.

Last fall I was running my suzuki out of gas and it literately took what seemed to be forever. I had about 1/2 " of fuel in that huge tank, and it took me 4-5 times on my small lawn to run it out. I thought someone was filling it up everytime. Sips fuel and yeah compared to my DF, (Jetted as well) I would say it used 1/10th the fuel.

All this talk about using them sure makes me miss mine. If I ever run across another one I may keep it. But then again my M sounds so good too, and now I have a brick, that runs great now, and my Gold DF, and a yellow promo. Yikes....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes the Suzi 47P 2 strokes are very efficient, quiet and almost vibration free. They're easy to operate all day, day in and day out, thats why the lawn crews loved them. The commercial models had thick cast aluminum decks, beefy 1" dia. handlebars, ball bearing steel wheels, cast aluminum transmission cases and plug/engine/air cleaner gaurds (depending on model).

Hardly ever broke down, so lawn biz owners/operators loved them and repair shops hated them. They'll last forever with the following religious but simple maintenance: 1) Put an inline fuel filter on them immediately 2) Clean the air filter every week 3) Clean/replace/gap the plug every season 4) Hose down the mower while running -especially beneath the deck- before putting it away. 5) Shut them down at the end of the day by turning off the fuel flow at the tank valve (lets the carb burn off todays crappy gasohol). 6) Don't let your wife or kids "straight gas" them !!! :D

The commercial series (22030 through 22040) are a hair heavier than their consumer/homeowner/landscaper series counterparts but I still gravitate toward using them more due to their solid feel. First thing I do with a new 47P orphan is run a fresh mix of Opti2 and Seafoam through it, grease the three zerks, adjust the idle & clutch, and remove any engine kill assemblies if so equipped. I avoid BBC (blade brake clutch) models like they're Kryptonite. I never bag, mulch with a standard blade, and use the optional side discharge chute and a high-lift blade when tackling the jungle (5" or higher) ..works like Napalm with cleaner results.

Ive noticed similar results in fuel consumption b/n the Duraforce (141cc) and Suzuki 47P (122cc). Hard to believe there would be that much difference, but experience speaks for itself. There's more BTU's of energy in a drop of oil than a drop of gas, so both 2 strokes are more fuel efficient than any 4 stroke, but those 19cc do seem to matter.

Mowing season is winding down for much of the nation so expect much less traffic overall on these discussion boards until spring, but its nice to see some occasional red mixed in with the usual sea of green around here ;)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Viking you are a fellow red nut I can tell. We may be out numbered here (green vs red) but i'm smilling .!!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've added one red machine (Snapper Hi-Vac) to my fleet, and I'm kinda liking it. It's the first non Lawn-Boy I've owned in nearly 3 decades, aside from a POS Honda HR214 that I bought just for its engine to repower my rolling weed trimmer.
I've never really been into the Toros, but they make some nice machines. I've always had Lawn-Boy walk-behind mowers, and Ariens riders. The Ariens walk-behinds were nice but just seemed to clumsy and bulky to use for my purposes. I still would like to get a hold of an LM21 with the Sachs 2-stroke on it, just to say I had one. :)

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
I have an old Red Nissan Sentra and two large roll around Snap On and Mac tool chests in my garage. I need to see more green in my garage. Heck Id love to see some green in my yard!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an old Red Nissan Sentra and two large roll around Snap On and Mac tool chests in my garage. I need to see more green in my garage. Heck Id love to see some green in my yard!
I've had a few sentras; great cars. FT you have grass burn out in OK? it rains every other day here-our grass thinks its still April !!

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
Im in SW Oklahoma, we got the same thing Texas got. Virtually no rain this year.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am overcome with an overwelming urge to clean something. :banghead3:banghead3
It just goes without saying most of us felt that way.....:sorry1:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are those Suziki 2 strokes hard to find parts for? They seem to be real rare compared to the Lawnboy 2 stokes.
Kinda sorta of, but they are VERY durable. Most of what ever goes wrong with them is air filters get too dirty and the carbs are finicky (mikuni-go figure) but if you put an nice fuel filter on them, keep the plug changed and air filter clean you have a 30 year engine that can take hard abuse. I run mine at 3300rpm for hours (2.5 every week) and it loves it.

Also the piston is a ported design ala motorcycle and it reminds me of my childhood days of KX125 building and rebuilding with a small 60 watt bulb in my buddies shed...:crybaby:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
See Gtp, we all know deep down you like the grabber green more than the red. Kx and lawn boys...

I do admit the suzuki is a great engine. I run one in my snow blower and it is the same engine used on the mowers. I used it ALOT this past year and was great.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See Gtp, we all know deep down you like the grabber green more than the red. Kx and lawn boys...

I do admit the suzuki is a great engine. I run one in my snow blower and it is the same engine used on the mowers. I used it ALOT this past year and was great.
You make a good point Freak. I enjoy the greenies and there will always be a few in my stable. I just enjoy the Suzuki's user friendliness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 2 reds and a green :D

My commercial Toro, my residential Toro and my GoldPro Lawnboy. All 2 strokes.

But sadly...The 2 Toro's don't currently operate. They run, but don't cut. Engines are wonderful on them, but everything else fell apart. I used to love the blade brake on my residential Toro, but it became problematic in its older years. Parts for it aren't cheap either. Both engines compression test out to 100+ psi, which I was told was great for 24 year old engines.

I just picked up my GoldPro this season, and I love it. So much power and control. It's a tad bit louder than my Toro's, but the mufflers ARE smaller. The weight makes up for all the differences though. It's so easy to maneuver. The DF engine is awesome, but the fuel mileage is terrible. 1 tank and my little 1/4 acre worth of grass is done. Maybe its just my copy, but that is unacceptable.

Makes me wonder if I can stick a Zuki on a green deck....

Point is...If its 2 stroke, its in my garage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts