My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are moving from a townhouse to a rancher with 2.7 acres. I'll need to mow about 2.5 acres of this. There are very few obstacles. About 1.2 of it has a slight slope, but the rest of it has a little more. It isn't like climbing a mountain, but there is a hill.

I'm still in the shopping phase, so I'm looking for ideas of what I should look at. I like the feel of the Husqvarna models I've sat on, but they were box store models, I haven't been to the dealer yet. I also like the feel of the Craftsman GT5000. My price limit is about $3000, but a bit less would be better.

In addition to mowing, I plan on using it to tow a cart to move things like mulch and compost. I can also see myself using it to pull a lawn aerator.

Should I go with a hydro transmission or manual? I've heard that since we have that hill, I should look at a manual.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I don't have any experience with Husqvarna and very little with Craftsman but if your looking at having many obstacles in your yard to mow around,you can't beat a hydrostat.Personnally,I would never buy a new tractor,they depreciate to fast for me and I don't mind fixing.If your looking for a tractor that all you need to do is change oil and regular maintenance,I guess new is a better way to go but for $3000.00 you could get a lot of tractor in a used model.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I can find a better deal on a used model. Unfortunately since I've never done any mechanical work, I'm really leaning towards a new one. If I get the right one, I'll keep it until it can no longer be fixed.

I will learn about it and do the work myself, but I have to have a working mower. I'll learn as things break and as I do normal maintenance stuff.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
For the price it's tough to the Craftsman GT's. Good luck and enjoy the hunt. I would still check out the used stuff at a dealer and you might find a low hour very good used that could last a very long time. slkpk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts