My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

Im in the process of installing but cant seem to figure out the tensioner. I think I may have had it in the wrong position or not done something I needed to before putting the belt on. The tensioner "bar" is stuck behind the tab thingy.

Here are a few pictures of where my install stands, hopefully they will show you want I am doing wrong!

HELP! :thanku:

Oh, also, if I need to take the belt off how do I go about doing that? It is tight on there.

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just saw the video post and watched the video. Thanks for sharing. I think one thing I didnt do was put the tensioner pulley right on top of the big pulley when installing. I need to take it off I guess and do that.

But once I do and get the blower put back on, I'm still not clear on where the tensioner pulley needs to be before I move the tension pulley.

Also, this belt is tight, how do I go about getting it off to try this all again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And, end result, does the belt go between the big pulley and the tensioner pulley?

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Matt, you should not have to take the blower back off. Looks like it's mounted and the pulley isn't hitting the hydraulic lines. There is an arm that has to be pulled over to make the tensioner "squeeze" against the belt. Also your tensioner arm looks like it isn't fully out on the shaft (your picture where the belt is right by the nut) looks like it should come out another 3/4 to an inch. That should slide on that shaft pretty easily and that shaft should be lubed every year. In the video where I transition to installing the belt you can see the arm for the tensioner (look very closely) and that is what I'm pushing to the right and down.

·
Hulk the Diesel
145 Posts
I admittedly don't know much about this setup but how can a belt that tight need a tensioner? Wrong belt? Pulleys too far apart? :dunno:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
huh, so still not sure about the belt tension. It is tight right now.

Also, I cant move the tensioner arm out anymore because the tensioner pulley hits the belt. Final configuration is like this, right

<---- pushing this way - tensioner pulley
belt
big pulley

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Guess I couldn't tell from the photo if the belt is being deflected by the tensioner pulley. But you diagram above is correct. I'm also looking at that belt as maybe being too tight (as stated by Rudolf92) to allow the tensioner to work. I just put a new belt on mine today and without the tensioner it slipped right over the two pulleys by hand without any effort. If that belt is already tight then it's too small.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, I will look into a new belt.

That said, I had everything on there correctly (or at least I thought correctly). However, the tensioner pulley was rubbing against one of the hydraulic lines when I engaged the PTO and was sparking.

Does the tensioner arm go behind the hooked piece of metal (towards the blower)? This would keep it pulled away from the line. I had it in front of the piece hooked piece (towards the tractor)

Or,what else could be causing this?

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
The tensioner shouldn't be hitting the hydraulic lines at all. I just took some more pictures just to show this:

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the additional pictures. My main question now (other than the belt) is just whether the arm from the tensioner bar goes in front of or behind the L shape "hook". I have it outside of the bar (so, not being hooked by the L) and that seems to be letting the tensioner pulley to far out and it then rubs against a hydraulic line.

With the tensioner bar outside of the "L" I can move the tensioner pulley about 1/2 inch or so. 1/2 inch one way and it wouldn't rub, 1/2 inch back (further away from the L Bar and it hits the hydraulic line). Is that kind of play right?

So, is my pulley going back to far, or is my hydraulic line out too far?

The first pictures shows how it is hitting, and how the hydraulic line it is hitting sticks out a bit further than the other one

This picture shows how my tensioner bar is not being "held" behind the L hook

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I will get a new belt. But that wouldn't be the cause of the pulley hitting the hydraulic line, right?

And, just out of curiosity not doubting, what shows it is the wrong belt?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Ok, I will get a new belt. But that wouldn't be the cause of the pulley hitting the hydraulic line, right?

And, just out of curiosity not doubting, what shows it is the wrong belt?
Like they say, the belt should come off very easily after the tensioner is backed off.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts