My Tractor Forum banner

more issues w/ my 445

8K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Brians445JD 
#1 ·
The PTo that drives the mower deck quit unexpectedly while mowing today. I cannot get it to engage at all. Prev owner installed a new switch.

Easy way to troubleshoot swith and solenoid?

#2 ·
Check that the safety switches are working properly especially the seat switch. Check the air gap on the clutch. Make sure you have a good battery too. An easy way to test the clutch is to unplug the harness and put 12V to it.

#3 ·
Pto is engaged by solenoid located on top rear face of transaxle, has wires connected to it, lightly tap on side of solenoid while cycling pto switch,(watch feet!!!!!!!!!)(2 guys better), there is also a fuse in circuit board on rh side under dash, behind side panel, pull and switch out fuses or check with test light, i carry spare fuses for this and fuel pump. Hope this helps, al in ala.

#4 ·
I didnt see this until after I posted my thread. Which fuse runs the deck? I'll try the plug on the transaxle. Hopefully this is not an expensive fix. Good luck with yours...

#11 ·
Didn't have power to the selinoid, took swithch to jd and they said it is bad. The said to bring in the selinoid to have checked to make sure it didnt go bad and cause switch to short. Gues that makes since, wouldnt want to burn a 30 dollar switch. Glad you got yours fixed.

#12 ·
This is common, intermitent electrical problems occur because of the very "harsh " enviroment they live in!! Clean and check connection of solenoid plug in rear, pull and clean blades of fuses, exercise pto switch, when it stops again, be ready to test for 12v @ solenoid, remember, all safety swithes must be activated, my solenoid responded to light tapping?
Hey!, might not happen again!!! Al in ala.

#16 ·
I went out to mow grass and the darned thing failed again. Some observations:

Red light on circuit board goes on and off in relation to the dash button.

PTO idiot light on dash does not illuminate. It illuminated when the PTO is successfully engaged.

These make me think that the switch is good since the red light goes on and off and I think the solenoid is good because I'm not getting a dash light indicating PTO operation.

Any ideas where to start looking?

#20 ·
If your machine is a later 445 with a RIO switch. I had a similar issue with my parents 445 (this was a long time ago so i can't remember exactly what the linkage looks like) but there is a lever on the right side of the rear housing with a linkage from the reverse peddle witch pushes the switch. The lever was loose and out of adjustment. The pto would work once in a while. Hitting a bump would shut it off until it wouldn't work at all. The lever was so loose the machine thought the reverse peddle was being pushed so no pto. Good luck

#22 ·
I replaced the electro magnet on the selonoid on mine. You could see where the wires burnt on the gromet. $108. for selonoid, $30. for switch, now is as good as new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.