My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, here are some more photos from Cass Scenic Railroad, located at Cass, West Virginia.

This trip is one that the missus and I made with another couple in October of 2006. Scheduling conflicts made it a later in the fall trip than was planned and as a result, we missed the peak of the leaves. And it was cold. Very cold. It was still a great trip though.

First, here is a shot of the double header Shays taking us to Bald Knob. I placed the locomotives off center to show some mountain scenery in the background.

Next is a mountain farm as seen from the train just below Whittaker Station. Just a beautiful setting.

Mountain scenery as seen from Gum Curve, just below Whittaker station.

More mountain scenery. The plume of smoke visible in the center is another train coming up the mountain just below Whittaker Station.

This a stand of Red Spruce starting to make a comeback after the logging around the turn of the century. The red spruce was the main species that the loggers were after. It's bark was used to make dye for the textile industry, along with osage orange logged in the lower altitudes of the region. These two species gave us the color of our army's uniforms in both World Wars.

Red Spruce seedlings have to have shade to grow to maturity and the hardwoods of the area do not offer enough shade for this species to repopulate at a very fast pace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_spruce

Mountain views and locomotive smoke. I can't think of a much prettier view.

I call this one Smoke and the Flaming Maple. I was inspired.

Here is a shot of the Western Maryland "Big 6." Our train is heading up the mountain and Big 6 is coming down, meeting at the first switchback. The switchbacks allow the line to climb a lot of elevation with a relatively short distance on the mountain. The switchbacks also allow the trains to pass.

Another switchback shot. This one really gives one an idea of the grades that these Shays tackle with ease. Try this with a conventional rod locomotive and see what happens.

I hope that you enjoyed these. I have more that I will get posted in the near future. Feel free to ask questions. I will try to answer then as well as I can.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Thanks for the nice pics. It's the next best thing to going myself.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
dj2cohen

Thanks for the great pics! Man that looks like fun! I need to get out more. :fing32:

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words fellas. It is definitely worth the trip.

Brad, if you want to come to WV, there would be enough to keep you busy for a lifetime. Realistically, there is enough in the eastern mountains, or the highlands as the travel guide calls it, to keep a person busy for a good week and still not see it all.

Ya-Ya, depending on the time it would take for you to get White Sulphur Springs or Lewisburg, Cass Scenic Railroad is about an hour north of either one. It wouldn't be a bad trip for you at all.

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bill. Going to Cass is like stepping back in time about 50 years, or more.

·
Registered
764 Posts
what a flood of memories those pics brought back. as a kid i lived in Madison,wva and went on a ride on the Cass Scenic. mid 60's and still get a thrill thinking about it. we went to a place the locals called the Big Ear and Little Ear,did you visit those by any chance?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I used to love riding those trians up Cass. I cant wait for a couple of years to take my little girl there. We used to also stay in the cabins there at Cass when we went to Snowshoe to ski. Much cheaper to stay at Cass and drive over the Mountian to Snowshoe than to stay up on the hill. I miss West Virginia!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
great pics... I've only been to Cass once, and I'm born and raised in WV :(

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's been a while since I've been to West Virginia. I'd forgotten how pretty it is there in the fall.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I never realised we had so many members from WV?I have realitives "inlaws" in a small town called Odd.I was there a few years back.These inlaws are also about as Odd as the name of the town.So I did not get to see much really.But next time I get out there I plan to look around.They did take us to where John Henry dug the tunnel.Not much of a tourist site but im sure there are things to see around that area?

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know where Odd is. I'm not too far from there (insert all the puns you like here).

Summers County, where John Henry's tunnel is located, is in the process of developing the site into an historical interpretive park. Of course, money is an issue, but I understand that they also had a difficult and lengthy time with the CSX railroad. The site and tunnel is on the CSX owned old C & O mainline.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts