My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some more pics. I had a real blast while I was there. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I really want to go back soon. First pic is the town of Chicken, an old mining town that boasts SEVEN year-round residents. It is literally in the middle of nowhere. Between the village of Tok, Ak. and Dawson City in the Yukon. 2nd pic ..mining claim. There is a HUGE amount of gold mining going on up there. 3rd pic is another view from the Top of the World Highway. 4th is Robert Service's cabin down in Dawson City. he wrote lots of poetry about the North; Dangerous Dan McGrew, The Spell of the Yukon etc. I have every book he ever wrote. That's me sitting on the porch! Might post some more later........
Joe

Attachments

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I'd love to spend a few months in Alaska some point in my life !! And if I was rich and my wife did not hate the cold so much, I'd live there in a heartbeat. Ain't never gonna be rich, and the wife is never going to like cold weather, so that dream is out !!

Thanks for posting the Pics :fing32: One can still enjoy them and dream

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: More Alaska.......Here's more!

First of all, thankee for the kind words about my pics. That trip was really a blast. Here are some more. (Third try by the way) These are just some random shots taken on the Taylor Highway. We are on our way back to Tok which is in S.E. Alaska, I'm gonna say roughly 100 miles from the Canadian border. I'll post a pic of that signpost taken in Tok and you will then know the exact distance! The first and fourth pics are of valleys where mining is being carried out. You can't see them in the pics but the miners ARE down there. Just let me say here that Ak is B I G.........REAL B I G. I just couldn't stop taking pics and really, these don't do any justice to the real deal. I'll post more.
Joe

Attachments

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's your sign! Sign is in "downtown" Tok. Other pics are more taken at the beginning of the Taylor Highway. Not showing up very well but this area went through a 100,000 acre burn a couple of years ago. Last pic is fire weed. It is very pretty and grows just about everywhere up there. Hope you enjoy these!
Joe

Attachments

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last ones for the evening. I do hope you all enjoy these. Again, they really don't do justice to the real beauty up there. This is a series of photos taken from roughly the same point. I may have moved at most 100' to take these. This is what you can squeeze out of an $87.50 camera if you have a tripod with you. I'm tellin' ya, those sheep are a L o n g way away! Even with the tripod I had to use the self timer feature because just snapping the pic manually was enough to knock the sheep out of the frame. Pics taken along the Glen Highway going toward Anchorage from Tok. (By the way. There are more than three sheep. Look in the third pic off to the left.)
Joe

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts