My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning out Dad's garage I found this old chainsaw. The model number is TMC 30000A. I researched a bit and think the manufacturer was either McCulloch or Remington. Anyway, the saw is in really good condition but has not run in probably 25 years. It has no spark. I tried switching spark plugs and I installed a Nova II ignition chip. Still no spark. I tried disconnecting the kill switch wire, no spark. So is it the coil? And where can I find a replacement?

Attachments

·
Keeper of the bees-Now deceased
2,409 Posts
I would like to see some side view pictures.

·
Keeper of the bees-Now deceased
2,409 Posts
I tried to see if I could figure out who made the saw so I could look for trouble shooting web sites. I couldn't find any that matched.

I am going to throw out a wild guess that there may be a set of points and condenser behind the fly wheel like a small B/S engine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best I can tell from research, the manufacturer was Remington. Yes, it has points and condenser but I bypassed that with the nova ignition chip. Still it will not fire.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,474 Posts
The first thing I do with no spark.
_ check plug (which you did).
- check plug wire for cracks or broken lead. Sitting around they have a tendency to harden up & deteriorate.
- Clean the flywheel & coil legs with emery cloth/sandpaper and check gap between the two. I normally use a business card or cardboard match book to set the gap.
Is the chip you installed replacing coil? I'm not familiar with them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply It230s. The nova II ignition chip is to replace the points and condenser. I did pull the coil and use emery cloth to clean off the rust. I noticed that one of the 'legs' on the coil is covered with the same plastic coating that covers the rest of the coil. I was not expecting that.

I used an index card to set the gap when I remounted the coil. I tested for a spark with and without the kill switch wire connected and made sure the switch was on.

I will do a better inspection job on the plug wire and lead.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
That saw looks a lot like an old Homelite XL-1 I have....

If you find out who made it,I still have that saw,its all apart in pieces,in a box,its carb got gummed up and ruined by water intrusion,and I cannibalized it for the bar & chain for another saw...so if you need parts !..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, Ingersoll444, yours is about the same. Mine has that thumb oiler lever/button and I don't see one on yours. So it is a Remington. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,243 Posts
Yep, Ingersoll444, yours is about the same. Mine has that thumb oiler lever/button and I don't see one on yours. So it is a Remington. Thanks.
Ya It has it. The plastic one fell apart back in the late 70's. We formed a new lever out of steel. Its just hard to see in the pic. if you expand the picture you can just make it out. Works better then ever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check the coil for resistance with an ohm meter that will tell you if you need a new one.
I recently restored a Remington Mighty Mite Bantam like yours it was a lot of fun, it has a lot of power for such a small saw and a pleasure to use with its 1/4" chain.

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1449631989.231916.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1449632012.365537.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alodom - very nice job on that Mighty Mite!

Guys look what I found. The owner's guide and parts list for this saw. I now have a spark but it still won't start. Taking the carb off next and doing a cleaning.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is an old saw, on mine I had to make all new gaskets the old ones mostly leaked. It is very important to pressure and vacuum test the crankcase,(maximum 10 psi). The fuel tank needs to hold pressure but not vacuum, same with the oil tank. I had to replace the duckbill check valves on both the fuel tank and the oil tank plugs they are under the cap, mine had turned to goo. The carb was put in a ultrasonic bath, replaced the seals and pressure tested for leaks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That saw looks a lot like an old Homelite XL-1 I have....

If you find out who made it,I still have that saw,its all apart in pieces,in a box,its carb got gummed up and ruined by water intrusion,and I cannibalized it for the bar & chain for another saw...so if you need parts !..
I could use the small black choke lever, mine fell off

1 - 20 of 20 Posts