My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have posted this Wednesday when it was starting--but was not here--anyway---

The National Boy Scout Jamboree (100 years old) has started up for about two weeks, just up the road from us-(about 35 miles) @ Camp A.P Hill--Army base. 40,000 = Scouts/ their leaders/volunteers/military liasions from all over the world.

Let us take a second and utter a prayer that they all make it thru this enjopyable occasion, and back home safetly.
Last time-4 years ago--four adult scout leaders were electrocuted/died--more than a 1,000 other scouts came down sick with various heat -related illiness. Things have been put in place this time to avoid any re-occurances..

I understand Sec. Defense Gates gave the oening speech (He was an Eagle scout), and Friday-Nascar driver's Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. showed up for several hours and even took part in first aid seminars...

Good luck to all these folks--this is a once in a lifetime event for most!!

Thanks Guys!! :thanku:I'll get down off the 'soapbox' now...

glenn

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
:ditto::ditto::ditto::thanku::fing32:

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
I was a boy scout when young, my older son was one too.

I lived true the 1976 Jamboree here in Canada, and in 2002 my son and I (me as a monitor) got the chance to go.

This is like you said "this is a once in a lifetime event for most!!"

My thoughts are with them. :fing32:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Absolutely! Prayers for a safe and memorable Jamboree.

I'm also 30 minutes the opposite direction, and have camped there many times. Wonderful place!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
there needs to be more boy scouts out there, maybe some of these grown men would act differently after growing up.....

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Scouting for me was great since I didn't have a dad. I think I turned out ok. Prayers and good luck to them!

·
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the record--The Jamboree is over--everyone packed and gone....

Ends like one sad note--a adult Scout leader from Oklahoma passed away in his sleep Tuesday night, reports said. Previous heart condition.

RIP--he was doing what he loved with the young people....:praying:

glenn

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
For the record--The Jamboree is over--everyone packed and gone....

Ends like one sad note--a adult Scout leader from Oklahoma passed away in his sleep Tuesday night, reports said. Previous heart condition.

RIP--he was doing what he loved with the young people....:praying:

glenn
I did not hear about that Glenn. But prayers offered for him and family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts