My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

We had our first snow fall last weekend and it was the first time I got to try out my snow blower on my 317. To say I was unimpressed was a massive understatement. I clogged up every 2 minutes if I tried to take the full 8 inches. I had to lift it up as high as it would go and make a pass and then come back and make another pass. It seemed like the faster I went the better it was, but this was unacceptable to me. Plus the snow was only being thrown 5 feet tops.

I had to modify it, because I just don't leave anything alone.

I had excellent results by making the two main paddles smaller believe it or not. The shoot on the 49 is 6" in diameter and the flapper is 5 " wide. So you are trying to throw 5" of snow out of a 6" opening and as soon as that snow leaves the paddles it starts to expand.(clogging up the shoot)

By making the paddles smaller you increase the velocity of the snow and at the same time you correct the clogging problem. It throws the snow a good 30 feet now and I can't get it to clog up even going through the 2 feet of packed stuff that I blew before. I was driving around my yard as fast as I could with nothing but success.

I will post up some pictures tomorrow of what I did and the templates that I made to cut the steel out.

If anyone is looking to make your model 49 blow snow like it should this should be the first thing you do. No sprocket changes, no shoot upgrades, no trying to put rubber on the ends of your paddles.

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
Very interesting bet it might work on #38 blowers too, in fact any single stage blower.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Well spank my butt Betty. I will drink to that. Now there is a very smart man. You snow people should be glad you have him on this site. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
251 Posts
Must...

Have...

Pictures...!

--Justin

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
to be honest I don't understand your description, but I am excited to hear more about it.

used the blower 8 times in two days so far... deepest about 8" all of this was wet, packing snow, if you keep up speed (full speed that is) it throws 7-10' when the gov kicks in it throws it 35+'

but always looking to stop clogs and throw further!!!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have a 42" single stage and had a 38" single stage blower previously and never had any problems blowing snow. The blower you have and mine are basically the same, other than the way they mount to the tractor.

In my experience, the more snow the better and farther it will blow it. If you had 8" on the ground, that is like ideal conditions for these types of blowers.

Not sure what was going on that you would be having problems with how far it is blowing.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Guessing this 317/49 is a new setup for you.. Once you get enough seat time to learn ground speed, you don't need any modicications unless its WET heavy snow.. Then get out the blade.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have taken pictures of this process while I was doing it, but it was just a spur of the moment thing. Sorry about that.

On a typical model 49 and most other ones the paddles on them are square or a rectangle shape. You can see that mine is more of a tapered shape.

Here you can see the templates that I used, if you guys want me to take a picture of it with a ruler next to it just say the word.

Here is a shot from the front, you can see how much smaller the paddles are then what they used to be.

Here is a picture from the shoot looking down and seeing how much smaller the paddles are then the shoot.

You can see that by squeezing the snow more it speeds it up and throws it allot further.

If anyone is interested in doing this, I will do my best to walk anyone through it over the phone or on the net. I used the original paddles that I cut off to make the new ones, so all you would need is a sheet of steel 12"X12" the same thickness of the augers.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guessing this 317/49 is a new setup for you.. Once you get enough seat time to learn ground speed, you don't need any modicications unless its WET heavy snow.. Then get out the blade.
I don't have a blade, I picked up this blower with weights and chains for 200.00 off of craigslist. I just couldn't pass it up.

Now I should be able to do any snow without having to worry about it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Interesting. I always enjoy seeing the results of someones detective work. I couldn't tell, but have you got the tall chute on your blower? That is one modification I'd like to make as well as possibly attempting the change you describe here.

I don't have a blade for my 318, but I doubt I'd switch back and forth much. The blower is just a PIA to take on and off.

For comparisons sake I robbed a photo from BobK's thread on his refurb of his 317.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I don't, that was also a modification I was going to do it this, but this works so well I don't think I will have too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I own a business that ports cylinder heads for high performance cars. So airflow is my thing I guess. Everything applies to fluid dynamics if you look at it the correct way. Im sure if I spent the time and looked around that someone has thought of this long before I did. There are just too many smart people out there for me to be the first one to do it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I actually think my 49 snowblower works quite well, but what the heck... I think I'll use two steel plates and bend wings onto them and then bolt them to the existing paddles. That way I don't have to cut and weld and these can be removed if I don't like it. I might use grade 8 bolts as I don't want these flying out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually think my 49 snowblower works quite well, but what the heck... I think I'll use two steel plates and bend wings onto them and then bolt them to the existing paddles. That way I don't have to cut and weld and these can be removed if I don't like it. I might use grade 8 bolts as I don't want these flying out.

That's a great idea. Good thinking.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I am just amazed that Deere and all the brains for their R&D didn't come up with this modification to their design. My father's single stage blower in 2004 has the same design as my Model 49 blower built 20 years earlier. Great job on this, you should post up some action shots of you blowing snow with it... Could possibly start up a little mod company on this.... And on that note, how close are you to St. Louis?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts