My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After spending $335.00 to replace my cracked on my 345. It would make one think how to stop the same in the future. I've posted here the last few weeks how my infamous "Jolly Green Giant" hood split in three places. So, I decided to re-engineer John Deere's hood which they should have when the designed it in the first place. Probably would have cost no more than $2.00 to eliminate the cracking of the hoods on their tractors.

Here is how I've done mine, and some here on the forum may want to do the same. Here are some photos how I have done it.

First, under the top section...back to the rear part, I cut a section of galvanize metal the same size of the area...using 3M VHB adhesive tape to mount the metal to the plastic surface. This 3M VHB tape is a marvelous item to fit this part of the hood from cracking. I also used some auto floor carpet to glue to the under side of the hood at the rear. This keeps the plastic hood from rubbing to the upper part of the dash. I will do the same to the side panels with carpet.

My next modification was to eliminate the hood from being open/pulled on at the rear top. Here I have added two -five lobed grip knobs...special Yellow Insert to each side at the area where the hood rests on the dash panel. By lifting the hood with these five lobed grips, this takes the stress away from the center of the hood...and I hope "no more cracking" on the hood.

When I was ordering my "special' yellow" grips/knobs, I decided to get one so I could attach it to the tool/everything tray on the fender.

The total cost for my 3M VHB tape and the yellow/black grips/knobs...about $26.00

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Great job !!
Good thing JD didn't have to guarantee the 345 for 4 year 500 hours :ROF
The hood looks exactly like he one I had on my LX279 but that had no problem. just the bumper ( if you can call it that):sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh kept breaking !!

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
After breaking mine I lift it from the vents (both sides). That center deal is bad. Thought about shimming the latches back.

Those knobs should help.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
That's awesome, and a good idea on everything. I like the knob ideas, except they might snag or "hook" stuff like if you mow close to something over grown. Looking at all your shiny, non scuffed paint, I would say you never do such a thing. :trink39:

I thought about cutting up a spare hood I had and putting this little ABS plastic cowl hood inert in it. I would be function able since my K341 is air cooled and all. Just have not decided which way to point the opening on it.

~F~

·
Registered
437 Posts
Great idea -- I can see some reinforcement per your instructions in my GX345's future.

PS - I like the X500 series seat and grab handles mods-- I hope you found my posts on these & that they were helpful to you. You need to put in the GX345 cupholder next! =)

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea -- I can see some reinforcement per your instructions in my GX345's future.

PS - I like the X500 series seat and grab handles mods-- I hope you found my posts on these & that they were helpful to you. You need to put in the GX345 cupholder next! =)

FL, I didn't search on who else had done some of these "add-on's" to their tractor. I did the grip handles about six years ago when I was at a JD dealer and they had a 300 series in the show room with these grip handles. That is when I got the idea to add them. I added the black front metal bumper this past month. As for adding a cup holder. I've considered that, and I could fill my favorite beverage in this "******" mug to place in the cup holder. But, after looking the amount of space on the fender, I don't think I have the room. BTW. The grip/knobs really work great when opening the hood. I can do it from the seat, front, or sides.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I like the idea of the grab handles also. Too bad I can't do that to mine because they would interfere with the cab in snowblowing season. The frame of the cab rests right were you have them placed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I like the idea of the grab handles also. Too bad I can't do that to mine because they would interfere with the cab in snowblowing season. The frame of the cab rests right were you have them placed.
If you use the ones in my .sig, they can unbolt in only a minute or so. Actually, they ones above should unbolt fairly quickly also. You could probably find a new place to reposition them somewhere in/on the cab for the wintertime, which would be a useful bonus.

The ones on FD's machine are a lot thicker than the ones I used, but they're more comfortable and much cheaper, though I thought they didn't seem to sit as well on the fenders as the '400 series style'. Both styles & all the part numbers are in the 'Grab handles' link below.

·
Registered
437 Posts
As for adding a cup holder. I've considered that, and I could fill my favorite beverage in this "******" mug to place in the cup holder. But, after looking the amount of space on the fender, I don't think I have the room.
It'll fit fine. It's the same fenderdeck as the GX345, iirc. Actually, rrmccabe added one on his 345 as well. I think it was only like $8. It fits as mirror image to the toolbox on the other fender (same size and shape, same relative position).

It's a decent design -- a figure-8 holder that holds either a can, or a larger Gatorade-sized bottle, with a small rectangular open storage area behind it. I would recommend drilling the drain holes a bit larger though. The always seem to jam up with leaf debris or the like when washing, but enlarging the holes fixes it easily.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Nice work on the mod and a great looking tractor. slkpk

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
Very impressive. I wonder if maybe John Deere might be interested in that hood/grip modification? Might save a ton on warranty replacements.

·
Registered
865 Posts
if i ever get a new hood, i'm gonna fiberglass the inside to keep it from cracking. its so **** flimsy to begin with, it boggles my mind that someone thought it was a good idea to have that design.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It figures, the thread with a fix that i need and no pictures load....sigh..

·
Administrator
12,685 Posts
That's the problem with useing another web site to upload pictures, rather than upload directly from your computer. The links from a host site change without notice and they're lost.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Or people get banned and remove their pictures. Then a informative thread is ruined. Some sites I belong to only allow pictures uploaded to their site and the poster can not remove them after a day. Like we can't edit a post here after an hour or so.

Missing pictures ruin threads that had a lot of info.

·
Administrator
12,685 Posts
Or people get banned and remove their pictures. Then a informative thread is ruined. Some sites I belong to only allow pictures uploaded to their site and the poster can not remove them after a day. Like we can't edit a post here after an hour or so.

Missing pictures ruin threads that had a lot of info.
The few other forums I visit don't let you edit indefinitely.

If you needed a post edited after it's timed out, just pm any staff member, we can help with that. :fing32:

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I have always used the bottom of the rear of the two sides of the hood to open the engine bay. I learned a long time ago to NEVER use that guaranteed-to-crack slot that JD put into the top of the hood. The two little black balls that hold the hood down can be adjusted to be less grippy. BTW, fiberglass will not stick to this junk plastic for long. It will act like it's going to stick but at the first twisting motion, it will separate from the plastic. One other area that I have found that cracks, is where the two side lobes on the front bumper meet the bottom front edges of the side panels. If the front bumper, what a misnomer that is, is ever bumped then the two side lobes are driven back into the side panels and they usually crack. As we all know, those useless two orbs can cost you $215 for a new lower hood. They are only cosmetic but have the potential of causing a lot of damage dollar wise.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
The few other forums I visit don't let you edit indefinitely.

If you needed a post edited after it's timed out, just pm any staff member, we can help with that. :fing32:
I was saying it is a good idea to limit the thread editing time. I wasn't complaining about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts