My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The floor boards are cut out of 3/4 inch plywood and painted and fit into place.

If you can remember from previous post, this engine had a "Hot Rod" model A intake and stock model A exhaust manifold adapted to it.
I had picked up a model A exhaust "heater" manifold and decided to put this on so my wife could at least have warm air blowing on her feet.
I cut a hole in the firewall and fastened the heater vent on the inside.

And this is the heater vent running thru the firewall and attached to the heater manifold.

Next was building the seat frame and mounting the gas tank.
Here the tank is sitting in place and I mounted 1-1/2 inch wood strips across the back and on the sides for the seat base to rest on.
I also fastened 1/2 inch plywood along both sides of the tank.
This closes off the hole in the floor under the tank so that the area on either side of the tank can be used for storage.
If you look really close ( I should have taken photos before painting ), you can just make out a pin sticking up at the front edge of the
wood strip on the left side.
This is a pin to hold the seat base in place. There is one on each side.

Then I formed a piece of sheet metal to fit in front of the tank and curve around each end to fit to the sides of the cab.

The seat frame and tank are finished and everything is painted.

The seat base is cut out of 3/4 inch plywood and fitted into place.
You can see a "shiny round thing" on the left side.
This is a piece of steel tube that is pressed into the wood.
I used the round head on a ballpeen hammer to flair out each end of the steel tube and lock it in the plywood.
There is one on each side that the locator pins fit into.

I also cut a strip of plywood that is fastened to the back of the cab.
Both of these pieces of plywood will be upholstered to form the seat base and the seat back.

Because I'm using an auxiliary transmission, I need to make a gas pedal instead of using the throttle control on the steering column.
First I made a steel tube that mounts under the front of the floor board.
This has a brass bushing in each end and a grease fitting.
Sitting on the table, you can also see the arm that the throttle cable will attach to.

Then I welded a steel arm on one end of a piece of 1/2 inch diameter rod.
I formed a slightly curved "pedal" out of some flat steel and welded it to the arm.

Here is the floor board standing on end showing the finished pedal assembly mounted and throttle cable attached.

The floor board with the gas pedal.

The other end of the throttle cable is mounted on the firewall and attached to the carburetor linkage.
It works nice and smooth.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
You do wonderful work. This is the first post of your restoration that I have seen. I really don't know how I missed them, but I will be going back and find them to see progress up to this.

Great restoration and great custom fabrication work. I will be waiting anxiously for more.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Thanks for the link, Ken.

Looks like I have some great reading/looking to catch up on.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I missed something. I wasn't aware, when you put that exhaust manifold on that it was from a model A. How hard was that to do?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I missed something. I wasn't aware, when you put that exhaust manifold on that it was from a model A. How hard was that to do?

The stock model T uses long clamps that grip on the outside of the manifolds the model A grips on a flange at the base of the manifolds.
I just put in shorter manifold studs in the engine and bolted the model A manifolds on.
I used a good model A manifold gasket and thick washers to grip the mounting flanges.
you do have to curve the exhaust pipe forward a little to clear the model T flywheel housing.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't sure if I wanted to still hook up the throttle linkage on the steering column but I decided to go ahead and hook it up.

This is the linkage rod that comes from the steering column, thru the engine and hooks to the bellcrank to operate the carburetor.

I made a bracket that this rod can slide in as it will move with the rest of the linkage when the gas pedal is pushed down.
This is the position of the rod without the gas pedal depressed. You can see that the jamb nut is up against the bracket.

With the gas pedal pressed all the way down, the rod just slides thru the bracket.
You can see that the jamb nut is moved to left of the bracket.

I can also pull the stock throttle leaver down on the steering column and it will pull the rod to operate the carburetor.
This can be used like a "cruse control ".

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
You are a true craftsman.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts