My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I finished bolting the rear axle in place today.

This is when you find out if all the measuring and figuring was correct or not.
Well the driveshaft spline slipped right up into the U-joint and the U-joint sleeve slid into the driveshaft housing bushing
and the U-joint cup fit snugly into the back of the transmission.
At the back end, the spring lined up with the spring hangers on the axle.

So I breathed a sigh of relief that every thing went back together like it should.

I've been looking at just bits and parts of this frame all winter so I had to roll it out and take some photos just to show it off.

Next on the list is to figure out the linkage to operate the auxiliary brakes and the linkage for the emergency brakes.

Henry just ran two rods back for the emergency brakes.
One on each side fastened to the emergency brake arm at the axle and to the solid emergency brake cross bar at the front.
Unless you kept adjusting the brake rods all the time, one side would always be gripping tighter than the other side.

I'm going to make some sort of "equalizing bar" for the auxiliary brakes so both sides grip at the same pressure all the time.
I would like to have a equalizing system for the emergency brakes also ( although it isn't as important on the emergency brakes ).

So now I have to figure out how to make it all fit and work without the rods of one brake system getting in the way
of the rods from the other brake system.
All the while keeping in mind that the rear axle moves up an down a lot.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Ray, I'm HIGHLY enjoying this project. Thanks for shareing it with us.
The explaination of how the std tranny shifted was great. The few Model T's that I've had the pleasure of looking into that were in a somewhat OEM condition always made me wonder why all those pedals :D

Have you thought of hydraulics for the brakes? You definitely get equal pressure at each wheel. COurse I know you're trying to stay as close as you can to OEM.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I would try fitting gas shocks on the front of the rods , this would take up slack and keep both side in the same pressure as you get ware. being mounted up front would eliminate the axle movement.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Mighty fine job. Thanks for the pics.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would try fitting gas shocks on the front of the rods , this would take up slack and keep both side in the same pressure as you get ware. being mounted up front would eliminate the axle movement.
Thank you for the interesting sugestion but I don't think it would work as the force on the brake rods
is a pulling motion not a pushing motion.
The pressure on a gas shock is in a pushing motion.

Also, whereas this is not "stock original", I am trying to keep it "period correct".
All these parts and modifications were available to model T owners back in the 20's and 30's.
I don't think gas shocks even existed back then.

I have the linkage for the auxiliary brakes pretty much figured out.
The harder part was getting an equalizing system to work with the stock emergency brake lever.

Someone else gave me an idea of using a cable. ...................

The stock emergency brake lever has a pivot rod that runs across the underside of the frame.
The brake rods come up from the rear axle and fasten to an arm on each side of this pivot rod.

I can fasten a small pulley to the arm on each side.
Then I can run the brake rods up along each side from the rear axle to within a few inches of the pulleys.
From there I will attach a cable to the end of the rod on one side and run it thru both pulleys and attach the
other end of the cable to the end of the rod on the other side.

The cable thru the pulleys would equalize the force on the brake shoes.
From the back of the truck you would still see the solid rods going up along each side.

Even if someone got underneath to see the cable, that would still be ok as they did have cable and pulleys back then.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
One set up was a spring around the rods to pull it , not to sure how they were set up but looked stock till the guy pointed it out to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts