My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The late model white hoods are big and boxy. Working on the tractors back in the 70's I disliked the shape, today I have the same ugh thoughts. Always like the sloping red hoods with the exposed batteries.

On all my tractors I have the beefy 7.6 jug and heads. Can't use that slanted red hood with the 7.6 head. Well I could mod a red hood but....

Today I started reworking my third white hood. Attached is some pics of the progress on this mod.

I took a finished hood (hood 1) and mounted it on my CI-8 just to see how universal they could be.
Then I took the hood and cut a paper template to speed up the layout process.
Next I mounted the template on the hood I needed to cut.
Traced the outline of the cuts.
Cut and mounted the hood for final trimming.

After the final trimming I will braze washers to the battery box and hood to create clearance to prevent paint scuffs.
Will post more pics as I go. Need to get a fresh bottle of oxy to braze.

RB in RI

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brazing of spacers done & finish fitting done.
Still need to do some cosmetic repair brazing on hood where the handle bar brackets ate the hood before on the donor.
Need to buy a paint sprayer, time to retire the rattle cans & brushes.
Here are a couple of pics.
RB in RI

Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upgraded my compressed air system for paint applications. Regulator was ready to fail, it was replaced with a high volume regulator and also added a water separator. This gun runs on 1/4" air line which I also had to replace. Air supply is ready. Need to create a bake station for paint drying, thinking of using an oversize box with a heat gun to bake the parts. Have 2 colors to shoot, the orange/red and the beige. Need to buy the beige.

On the hood, I brazed the damage from the handle bar brackets. Looks great for an inexperienced brazer. Done plenty of welding (12+ professional years worth) so the grinding was a simple task. Decal and paint will cover any imperfections.

The bug is slowing me down, will wait a few more days before heading to the automotive paint store. I do have the orange/red & may shoot on a clear day...…….

Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
+1

Nice job. Not many would concern themselves with that level of detail.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1

Nice job. Not many would concern themselves with that level of detail.
Thanks jrd, this is just the fabric of what I did before the early retirement. Detail, detail, detail.

I have way to much invested in my tractors, but the goal is to get to a Mow-In. Shooting for this year.
This tractor was left outside for years by a Farmer who did not want to repair it.

Was a C8 Custom, now a CI-8 Super

RB in RI

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts