My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The late model white hoods are big and boxy. Working on the tractors back in the 70's I disliked the shape, today I have the same ugh thoughts. Always like the sloping red hoods with the exposed batteries.

On all my tractors I have the beefy 7.6 jug and heads. Can't use that slanted red hood with the 7.6 head. Well I could mod a red hood but....

Today I started reworking my third white hood. Attached is some pics of the progress on this mod.

I took a finished hood (hood 1) and mounted it on my CI-8 just to see how universal they could be.
Then I took the hood and cut a paper template to speed up the layout process.
Next I mounted the template on the hood I needed to cut.
Traced the outline of the cuts.
Cut and mounted the hood for final trimming.

After the final trimming I will braze washers to the battery box and hood to create clearance to prevent paint scuffs.
Will post more pics as I go. Need to get a fresh bottle of oxy to braze.

RB in RI

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brazing of spacers done & finish fitting done.
Still need to do some cosmetic repair brazing on hood where the handle bar brackets ate the hood before on the donor.
Need to buy a paint sprayer, time to retire the rattle cans & brushes.
Here are a couple of pics.
RB in RI

Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upgraded my compressed air system for paint applications. Regulator was ready to fail, it was replaced with a high volume regulator and also added a water separator. This gun runs on 1/4" air line which I also had to replace. Air supply is ready. Need to create a bake station for paint drying, thinking of using an oversize box with a heat gun to bake the parts. Have 2 colors to shoot, the orange/red and the beige. Need to buy the beige.

On the hood, I brazed the damage from the handle bar brackets. Looks great for an inexperienced brazer. Done plenty of welding (12+ professional years worth) so the grinding was a simple task. Decal and paint will cover any imperfections.

The bug is slowing me down, will wait a few more days before heading to the automotive paint store. I do have the orange/red & may shoot on a clear day...…….

Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
+1

Nice job. Not many would concern themselves with that level of detail.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1

Nice job. Not many would concern themselves with that level of detail.
Thanks jrd, this is just the fabric of what I did before the early retirement. Detail, detail, detail.

I have way to much invested in my tractors, but the goal is to get to a Mow-In. Shooting for this year.
This tractor was left outside for years by a Farmer who did not want to repair it.

Was a C8 Custom, now a CI-8 Super

RB in RI

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it has been some time since the last hood post!

Got the paint last week & have been prepping the first hood I cut. Thinking if I have to clean the gun for one, might as well shot 2 hoods. I find cleaning the gun is a pain. On the better side you may ask why this paint manufacture? Flash time. Can apply the second & third coats without having to clean the gun. Dry time is short as well, will be able to wet sand the next day.

Shooting tomorrow.....low humidity.

RB in RI

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spraying went well but the color is to white for me. Paint was mixed to the Gravely white paint chip. It really is the white for the rims or the 50" cutting deck. Heading back to the paint store & this time I'll bring the dry element air filter case. Here is another quart! I'll use the white for rims I want to buy later.....

One step forward, two back. :confused:

RB in RI

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been researching the hood colors on the sales brochures during the 60's when the new design hoods were used. Found they started as an almond color, then went to an almond/white blended color to a pure white color.

With that the hood for the CI-8 tractor should be a pure white which I have been using. Wet sanded the hood & shot it again. After drying for a few days it is finally assembled on the tractor. Will add the Super Convertible decal later. See pics....

That second hood needs to be painted the almond color with the black Gravely decal added to the side.

Now it is time to make up the battery cables for the CI-8,

RB in RI

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I like your shortened Custom hood for an electric start. The Super hood really is bulky.

Did you have to pick up the pivot mounts at the bottom end of the hood? The plug clearance on those is pretty tight; if you used the stock holes for an electric start kit, I would think the hood would hit the top of the plug.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you have to pick up the pivot mounts at the bottom end of the hood? The plug clearance on those is pretty tight; if you used the stock holes for an electric start kit, I would think the hood would hit the top of the plug.
Hi JRD,
The lower end pivot point is approx 1 1/2" above the lower edge. There is plenty of clearance for the plug and gas cap due to the rotation of the hood bumpers. I found them to give a good lift to the hood and a tight fit to the tank. Effect is no rattling.

Adding a few more pics.....of installed hood #2 (Berkshire Tractor) and this project hood #3 (CT Farmer Tractor).

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Ah, ok, got it. Relocating the hood bumpers is a good idea too. Cool!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts