My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a model 51 rotary broom for my 455. Just wondering how well they work for leaves and snow. I also have lots of black walnut trees that produce a lot of nuts that I would like to broom away - would this work well for that ?

What is a going rate (MN) for a good used one? Any Pro's or Con's ?

thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
A member here has one.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a model 51 rotary broom for my 455. Just wondering how well they work for leaves and snow. I also have lots of black walnut trees that produce a lot of nuts that I would like to broom away - would this work well for that ?

What is a going rate (MN) for a good used one? Any Pro's or Con's ?

thanks,
I have one. I thought it would be great for snow and grass clean up. It is not that great at either. If the snow is more than 1" deep it seems to clog up the bristles and just picks up the snow and drops in behind the drum leaving a trail of snow. On grass the caster wheels dig in and leave ruts.

I think the problem is the small size of the rotating bristles. At 18" they don't have enough flinging power to shoot the stuff out of the way. If it spun 2x as fast I think it would work better.

These are only my experiences. Others seem to like them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have one and love it. Works well for spring de-thatching. As someone said above as far as snow clean up eh. If it is dry powder snow it will work ok, but as soon as it gets wet forget it. I would think that on the black walnut acorns it would work well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I ended up looking at one last night and picked it up for $825. It is in very nice condition so hopefully it will work as planned. Also where can I get a manual for it ?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, I picked up one that was used maybe twice and $1,000 last spring. You might be able to find a manual on Deere's website or just a simple google search should bring one up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts