My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally found a blower for my 318. I have been looking for a 47 or 49 since last spring. There are a few around here but guys are asking 800-900 for a decent model 49. John Deere dealerships don't have any and don't know where any decent used ones are.

So, yesterday I heard from a friend of a friend that a guy has a model 47. He said it needs some TLC but is a good solid unit and was used all last winter on a 318. I drove 1/2 hour and checked it out.

It is very straight and no bends or kinks in anything. But, it will need a good sandblasting and paint (surface rust only). I will use it "as is" for this winter and tear into it next summer and hopefully make it look like new.

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Those old Model 47 blowers look huge behind a 318 and I'm sure move a ton of snow. Nice find, have fun running it.

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Good find. Wait until you hook it on the front of your 318, and turn it on for the first time. You will need about 200-300lbs of weight in the rear of the 318 to operate it effectively. I have one also, and it is so slick to have the hydro operated chute on it.:fing32:

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's still sitting in the back of the pickup. I need several big guys to help unload it. It is a beast and very heavy. The guy I bought it from used a farmhand and a chain and loaded it the easy way. I have 100 lbs for wheel weights and six 40 lb suitcase weights on a bracket I fabricated this summer. So, 340 lbs of weight and by butt (200 lbs) should do it...........I hope.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
It's still sitting in the back of the pickup. I need several big guys to help unload it. It is a beast and very heavy. The guy I bought it from used a farmhand and a chain and loaded it the easy way. I have 100 lbs for wheel weights and six 40 lb suitcase weights on a bracket I fabricated this summer. So, 340 lbs of weight and by butt (200 lbs) should do it...........I hope.
I believe I'd recommend loading the tires too.

Really good score. I don't see that little bit of rust being much of a challenge.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Good find. We have seen worse rust cases fixed to perfection on the forum !!

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I mounted and ran the blower for the first time. I have a little work to do before the snow flies. One of the yokes is wobbled out. So, I either have to pay 190 dollars from John Deere for the replacement part or have a machinist look at it. I will definitely have a machine shop see if they can build it up and then cut it down to the desired size.

I was going to wait till next year to sand or blast then paint. Well, I have it completely torn apart so I guess no better time than the present. I will be replacing most of the bearings and seals since its all apart.

I will post some pics once I start "making it look pretty". I really hope I don't have to give John Deere that kind of money for what seems to me like a 50 dollar part. Hope the machine shop can fix me up.

·
Super Moderator
32,637 Posts
enzminger, you'll be happy that you took the time to "get it right" before you start using it. I never realized that the shaft was that offset from the PTO to the impeller before but your picture shows it at a pretty good angle! Someone just didn't grease the universals properly I'm sure! Good luck getting it machined, waiting for the pics!

·
10,723 Posts
I was going to wait till next year to sand or blast then paint. Well, I have it completely torn apart so I guess no better time than the present.
That way your getting optimum performance from that start. Nothing like a pitted, rusted chute to slow things down. :banghead3

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
That way your getting optimum performance from that start. Nothing like a pitted, rusted chute to slow things down. :banghead3
and after it's painted give the chute several good coats of wax. slkpk

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a few pictures of the carnage. I had to take the large auger into John Deere so they could cut off the flanges and bearings because they were all rusted and would not come off the shaft. They will get it taken apart for me and get me new flanges and bearings.

My cousin will be taking it to his residence and blasting it for me. I will primer and paint it after he is done. I'm going to rattle can it I think. I have had good results in the past with John Deere rattle can, looks pretty good.

I will wash and paint the quick hitch while he is blasting the rest. IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

·
Super Moderator
32,637 Posts
Yep, that's in pretty good shape really! Looks like you have your rear weight issue solved too!

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have made some progress on the newly acquired 47 blower. I initially was going to wait till next year but oh well. I have cleaned, sanded and painted the quick hitch. I have also sandblasted, primed and painted the blower. I don't have pics of the blower yet just the hitch.

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

·
Registered
828 Posts
Looks nice, as does that garage floor!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Looks great!! I can't wait to see it back together. It is going to look like new!

·
Super Moderator
32,637 Posts
You will be much happier with all the work done going into the season! Can't wait to see the pics of the blower!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts