My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a trade in today.....a 1974 IH/Cub Cadet with a 44" deck. S/N dates it as built March of 1974...........just think a 31 year old tractor......it starts easy and runs fine,needs a clutch kit in the manual engage PTO clutch (we have in stock),deck has some wear and could use a new shell (available and in stock at parts in Cleveland warehouse)
and maybe an engine to deck belt. Thats it ! Guy just wanted a new mower.
oh the best part.it has oem moon hubcaps with "IH" logo in the center.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
16,793 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the fact you can get a shell for the old mowing decks. I was able to order a old narrow frame 3point hitch From MTD For my Cub 106. I'm glade when MTD took over sole ownership of Cub Cadet they keeped alot of the New old stock parts. Oh does that old Cub you took on trade in have a manual lift or a Electric lift.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
You can still buy a deck shell for a 44'' deck?I need one and the center spindle for my 1250 with a 44A deck.How much would we be talking here?I have serched e-bay and a deck that is not better then I have goes for over $200.00.

Im just about to buy a pull behind Swisher mower and for get it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
New old stock parts for the most part are way gone..........MTD bought Cub in 1981. MTD has been wise enough to realize that the demand for parts is still there whether its for restoration or the tractor is simply still being used. (This one was)...So they manufacture parts that keep it running and working. Sheet metal like hoods, fenders etc.......you have to haunt junkyards & eBay.

Biggest problem on the decks is they were built over so many years,model s/n tags are gone or unreadable so you need to see the deck to figure out what it is................spindles on certain decks (several had 3 different setups under IH) can be even harder.......MTD offers an improved spindle that backfits for those particular decks. Spindles on most 44a decks were the sealed water pump style (shaft/bearing made together)

The 149 has a manual lift..a hydraulic one was an option.

I'll post the deck shell price for a 44A up after I get in to store.....they're new stampings.
Also,Ill check on your needs JD.

btw...isnt it great that the Cub Cadet forum is the most active one here in the lawn/garden tractor section? :fing02:

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Thanks for the information Neil.Problem is this 1250 is not worth putting that much money into.I use it to mow some areas I will not take my newer mowers.I feel the old 1250 is built to take this rough area.

I use it like a bush hog.Just weeds and grass no brush.Has done well the last few years,But the deck was basicaaly shot when I bought it.Im surprised it has held up this long.Those Cub Cadets are tough.I have been looking on E-bay and the decks I see are either to expensive and most are not much better then I have.

I am going to a Huge Lawn equipment auction this coming Sunday.Largest sale in the Midwest.I hope to find a junker 1250 there with a decent deck.Then I will have a deck and spare parts for the 1250.But they also have a Agrifab 48'' pull behind mower I will check out.That would work pretty good I think.Because the old 1250 would only have to pull it.Would not have to worry about the electric clutch and bearing any longer.The old 1250 has plenty of years left in it as a emplement puller.But plenty to go wrong with it trying to rely on the mower deck and PTO and mule drive.

Im also considering a Swisher pull mower I can get a new 60'' 13.5 Briggs for $1350.00.Or a smaller version for $900.00 they could also order me a rough cut type for around $1500.00Decisions Decisions?

·
Citizen of Earth
15,447 Posts
Nice looking tractor Neil! I wouldn't be ashamed to park that next to my green ones. I was looking at a Cub Cadet 1450 last summer that had been traded in and the dealer wanted around $800 for it, but my loving wife said no. They were/are real good machines.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been looking for an old bomb like this to restore as project, trouble is here they are HARD to find and shipping one would probably cost more than the tractor itself...oh well just going to keep my eyes open. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts