My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, having purchased a Model 12 (for $75 - new carb and some other work now it's running fine). I have the model and serial number, and am looking to determine the original date of manufacture. S/N is 00624165, and the Model is 47366....it has the Kohler M12S engine. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it seemed like a good deal at the time. I have been told that attachments are unique to each model, so something made for the Model 10 wouldn't fit the Model 12. True?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
The only ways that I'm aware of of attaching things to a walkbehind are 4-bolt (older) and quick-hitch (newer). I don't have any of the Pro machines, but I believe they were all QH. Don would know all the details.

Whether your tractor is set up for 4-bolt or QH, there are adapters available to run the other kind of attachment. Bottom line, you should be able to run the full array of walkbehind attachments on your machine.

And ditto on the great deal! :wwp:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks yamato72 and JRD, I appreciate the information. And the snow in yamato's photo is why we no longer live in Michigan -- beautiful summers, though.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
For your machine, you'll need what's called a retro-fit kit to run the older 4-bolt attachments. If you had a 5000 series with a quick hitch, you could simply take it off but due to the PTO brake and different assembly, that can't be done with the newer Professionals. If you can, we'd all love some pictures!

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
The only ways that I'm aware of of attaching things to a walkbehind are 4-bolt (older) and quick-hitch (newer). I don't have any of the Pro machines, but I believe they were all QH. Don would know all the details.

Whether your tractor is set up for 4-bolt or QH, there are adapters available to run the other kind of attachment. Bottom line, you should be able to run the full array of walkbehind attachments on your machine.

And ditto on the great deal! :wwp:
The diff between 4 bolt and QH has always mystified me. Anyone have a comparison picture? Does the quick hitch look like a "horn?"

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
I'm new to the forum, having purchased a Model 12 (for $75 - new carb and some other work now it's running fine). I have the model and serial number, and am looking to determine the original date of manufacture. S/N is 00624165, and the Model is 47366....it has the Kohler M12S engine. Any thoughts?
Well report back to Michigan mister - since it's now summer here - and turn yourself in for this outright thievery! Seriously though, $75.00 is an absolute bargain basement price, even in light of the work you've done on the tractor to date. The Kohler M12 is nothing more than a dressed up K301 - all the manuals you could want for your engine and tractor are free at oldgravelys dot net, courtesy of Chip Old. I'm sure that Gravely Don will be able to help you with pegging the tractor's build year.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
The diff between 4 bolt and QH has always mystified me. Anyone have a comparison picture? Does the quick hitch look like a "horn?"
The top half of the quick hitch does contain a horn, which slides into the attachment's receiving sub-frame, for support purposes. The PTO is extended through the quick-hitch and mates with the attachment via a couple of connecting U-joints. And just as with the riders, those darn connectors are pricey as heck to obtain if they don't come with the attachment you're buying.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,731 Posts
It is a 1989. Got shipped in 1990.

6/29/2010 Ariens Dealer Product History Inquiry
10:38:09 PM

MODEL NUMBER: 985005 SERIAL NUMBER: 624165

DESCRIPTION: 12HP 4SP ELECT W/O BRK

Dealer #: Owner:
Dealer Name: CENTERVILLE GRAVELY SALES INC Address:
Ship Date: 1/31/1990 City: CENTERVILLE
H D Store: State: OH
Dealer Sales Representative: Zip: 45459
Principal Use: Country:
Sold Date: 5/03/1991 Phone:
Invoice #: E-Mail:

Sat around the dealership for quite a while or was used as a Demo unit from the looks of it. Or somebody failed to register it till later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! I am a Gravely owner for some time and I bought another only because it was $100. I know it is of newer vintage, far newer than I am accustomed. I cannot find out what year it is by sleuthing the inet, until I saw this forum. Please tell me what you can about my new purchase. Model 47366 serial 00623800. Your knowledge of these Gravelys is impressive, thank you for sharing!!! Mule

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm feeling lazy and I cannot access my gallery from work so here is the evolution of Quick Hitches...
Hey Blown! THANK YOU for that wonderful link. I spent 1 1/2 hours getting a Gravely education. That was a wonderful treat with my morning coffee. Can you stickie that link or somehow make it readily available? If others have not explored those pictures, I advise it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts