My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm working on a Craftsman DLT 3000 w/ a Peerless H2000-006A Silent-Trac transaxle. I wanted to know what fluid I should use in the pump? From what I found, the tractor takes Mobil 424 Hydraulic Tractor Fluid. I was considering using John Deere Hy-Gard though, as I'm thinking it may be better for the tractor. I also wanted to know if I should use the low or high viscosity Hy-Gard if I do get it. Thanks, Ashton.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pull the manual and see what it specifies. The specification will tell you the viscosity and lubrication additives needed for that that transaxle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the manual and see what it specifies. The specification will tell you the viscosity and lubrication additives needed for that that transaxle.
There are a whole bunch of documents online but I can't seem to find the specifications for it. It seems that the only thing I could find was that they wanted Mobil 424.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, 80W-90 for the final drive, not for the hydraulic pump. I know what to put in the final drive. I think I’ll just go with standard viscosity Hy-Gard for the pump. I pulled the product information sheets and Hy-Gard was a bit better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ah, must be this one mentioned in a Sears forum then:

"
"Manage My LifeSeptember 30th, 2013

The pump takes Tecumseh hydrostatic fluid part number 730228A,. It must be that type of oil as others will mess the pump up.

"

Tecumseh Transmission Oil Hydro Fluid 730228A
Description
Alco Synthetic Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid 1 Quart. 15-50 WT
Replaces

STENS 770-131

TECUMSEH 730228A

ROTARY 11589

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

"

The pump takes Tecumseh hydrostatic fluid part number 730228A,. It must be that type of oil as others will mess the pump up.

"

Description
Replaces

STENS 770-131

TECUMSEH 730228A

ROTARY 11589
Thanks for the info. After searching around I think I'm going to go with neither of these options. I did a little digging around through the product information sheets of both the Mobil 424 and JD Hy-Gard, and I think that I don't want either one. Instead I'm going to go with AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil SAE 5W-30, as it seems to be the much better option for the pump. For the final drive, I'm going to go with their Severe Gear Oil 80W-90. It may be more than what it needs, but I think it will be a great combination for what I do. I trust AMSOIL more than Mobil for sure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

"

"

Description
Replaces

STENS 770-131

TECUMSEH 730228A

ROTARY 11589
Has anyone been able to find what capacity the pump and final drive has?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Tecumseh is unclear, but list the 2000 as unservicable and similar to the 2300. If it is, the 2300 takes 64oz in the transaxle. This is in tecumseh's service manual.

No mention on the pump volume. I note they say 15W50 above, 30 might be a bit light when it gets warm?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tecumseh is unclear, but list the 2000 as unservicable and similar to the 2300. If it is, the 2300 takes 64oz in the transaxle. This is in tecumseh's service manual.

No mention on the pump volume. I note they say 15W50 above, 30 might be a bit light when it gets warm?
I did notice that. According to Tecumseh, the transaxle operates at 170 degrees Fahrenheit, so when I look at the product information sheets, I’ve been looking at the kinematic viscosity tests performed at 100 degrees Celsius which is 212 Fahrenheit. They’re all relatively the same. AMSOIL is about 5 cSt behind Hy Gard, at 55 cSt. I’m thinking that as long as it has a good rating their, it will be ok. Should I not use the 5W-30 though? I was reading through some YouTube comments and the person said they used the AMSOIL along with the Severe Gear and it works just fine for them after 3 years.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Also, when you say 64 oz in the transaxle, do you mean the final drive? Or do you mean the hydraulic pump?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also, when you say 64 oz in the transaxle, do you mean the final drive? Or do you mean the hydraulic pump?
Tecumseh calls it a transaxle; to me, you normally find final drives in skidsteer, excavators, and tracked tractors.

I could not find a spec that had the volume listed for the pump. Would reccomend measuring it when you drain it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Final drives typically look something like this

·
21,375 Posts
Tecumseh calls it a transaxle; to me, you normally find final drives in skidsteer, excavators, and tracked tractors.

I could not find a spec that had the volume listed for the pump. Would reccomend measuring it when you drain it.
A transaxle is a transmission and final drive (rear end reduction and differential) all in the same case

Many older hydros were mated to separate final drives in both LTs and GTs. While normally both are removed if service is required for either the transmission or the final drive, the larger hydro transmissions can often be pulled while leaving the final drive in the chassis. Since only the final drive is bolted to the chassis, the reverse isn't feasible.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A transaxle is a transmission and final drive (rear end reduction and differential) all in the same case

Many older hydros were mated to separate final drives in both LTs and GTs. While normally both are removed if service is required for either the transmission or the final drive, the larger hydro transmissions can often be pulled while leaving the final drive in the chassis. Since only the final drive is bolted to the chassis, the reverse isn't feasible.
My Massey 12 service manual refers to its hydra-speed as a transmission and rear axle. Its pump is part of the transmission (as opposed to the auxiliary hydraulics pump) and does not encompass its fluid displacement motor.

·
21,375 Posts
My Massey 12 service manual refers to its hydra-speed as a transmission and rear axle. Its pump is part of the transmission (as opposed to the auxiliary hydraulics pump) and does not encompass its fluid displacement motor.
Take another look at it. The hydro pump, motor, and reservoir are one unit, and the Tecumseh/Peerless 2400 final drive is a separate unit with the connecting bolts and a coupling between them.

Page 76 of this manual.

Yes, the pump, motor and reservoir can be separated from each other for maintenance and repair, the same as the heads can be separated from an engine block, but they can only function as a complete unit. The hydro doesn't need the final drive to function any more than the engine in your car or truck needs the transmission.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts