My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am looking to service the 62C gearbox. My plan is to drain the gearbox and refill. I regularly grease the pulley zirks, but have neglected to service the gearbox in the 5 years I have owned the tractor. Better late than never, right. :banghead3

Is it fairly obvious? Is there a drain/fill plug? Can I use 90W Mobil 1 gear oil or is there a specific JD oil I should use?

·
Registered
135 Posts
http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMLVU14333_G9/Output/Index.html?tM=HO

Gear Oil

Use oil viscosity based on the expected air temperature range during the period between oil changes.

John Deere GL-5 Gear Lubricant is recommended.

Other oils may be used if they meet one or more of the following:

• API Service Classification GL-5.

• Military Specification MIL-L-2105D.

• Military Specification MIL-L-2105C.

• Military Specification MIL-L-2105B.

Oils meeting Military Specification MIL-L-10324A may be used as arctic oils.

1. Remove check plug (A).

2. Oil level should be at the bottom edge of the check plug hole. If oil level is low, add John Deere GL-5 Gear Lubricant as needed.

3. Install check plug (A).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just be forewarned that some have posted having a great deal of trouble getting that little plug out. Once you strip the plug, you are in for a lot of drilling and swearing using an easyout. I broke mine loose when I first got the machine and always hit it with penetrating oil in the spring and fall when checking the oil level..

After 5 years, I would definitely hit it with penetrating oil and let it work. Then try to loosen the plug. If the allen wrench starts to give, tap it with a hammer and hit it with more penetrating oil and let it soak in. It is installed very tightly at the factory. :praying:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just be forewarned that some have posted having a great deal of trouble getting that little plug out. Once you strip the plug, you are in for a lot of drilling and swearing using an easyout. I broke mine loose when I first got the machine and always hit it with penetrating oil in the spring and fall when checking the oil level..

After 5 years, I would definitely hit it with penetrating oil and let it work. Then try to loosen the plug. If the allen wrench starts to give, tap it with a hammer and hit it with more penetrating oil and let it soak in. It is installed very tightly at the factory. :praying:
Thanks and will do!

My 2005 2210 does onloy have 150 hours, but I will take extra precautions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts