My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the mower on yesterday afternoon, a fellow came by to try out the BX 2350, and he said the mower kept popping out of gear -- the lever to engage the PTO would pop back on him.

I've had that happen on rough ground, but he said it happened even when not moving. He thought the lever didn't go all the way into position.
Here's a picture of how the lever has always worked for me, so I thought that's the way it's supposed to be.

I ran it and it happened once, about 2450 rpm, on rough ground. He tried it again and it went out several times.

Of course, he wasn't interested in buying it.

I couldn't find anything about this on the forum -- anyone have experience with this? Is the lever not fully engaged? (Is that a simple fix? :praying:)

I have someone else coming this afternoon to look at it. Meanwhile I'm going to mow some of the back field.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I can't tell in the picture, but is the lever stopping against the plastic? If so, does it travel the the plastic in the other direction? That lever isn't the sturdiest thing and can be bent if one isn't careful.

I once caught mine getting off the tractor and bent it a bit, just pushed it the other way against the stop and then on until it hit the plastic; now mine goes to stop each way without touching the plastic.

EDIT: Which lever is popping out on you, the MID / MID&REAR / REAR selector or the ENGAGE / DISENGAGE?? From the photo it appears that your ENGAGE lever isn't dropping into the detent; it should travel forward, then left and back, sitting firmly in that detent pocket. It almost appears that your lever has been bent to the outboard side too much. If it refuses to go into that pocket detent than try straightening out that lever a bit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That lever has never gone into the detent. So I should take a pliers to it and bend it so it goes in?

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
That lever has never gone into the detent. So I should take a pliers to it and bend it so it goes in?
First analize the movement (under the seat pan/body) check there, take pictures if you don't know much about the system and post it here so we can help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looked at it from underneath. My wife moved the lever while I took pictures and saw how it worked. Then she said "why don't you just bend the lever to straighten it out?"

<sigh>

Basically what wonga and JRC were saying.

The first pic: where the lever passes through the plastic, there is flex there -- maybe two pieces join? Anyway, holding the yellow plastic tip I pushed toward the center of the tractor while the lever was not engaged, and the whole thing straightened out a lot. And it fits snugly in the slot. First time in five years. :banghead3

Took it out, mowed the back field WOT, not one problem! :woohoo1: (Still don't like mowing over 2500 rpm, but that's a different post.)

Anyway, thank you guys very much. I love this place. Time to become a site supporter!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts