My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if it is ok to mix oil and grease some say it is ok some say otherwise it would be for the gear box on a John Deere 318 single stage snow blower. :thanku:
there is straight grease in there now and it separates away from the gears so there is no grease touching the gears I think buy adding oil it would thin it up some and make it touch the gears.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm not sure if it's okay either, but if I was going to try it I would be using 80-90W gear oil, maybe even synthetic. They claim it sticks to the gears better than conventional oil.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
There are some greases that are designed for gears. John Deere corn head grease comes to mind. Normally has a consistency like regular grease, but thins like gear oil when worked.

Does the gearbox have a drain? If so, flush out the old grease with kerosene/diesel and refill with corn head grease.

If the gearbox was not designed for gear lube originally, it might start leaking out on you.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i went ahead and did it any way i mixed red grease and automatic transmission oil and i am waiting to see what happens so good so far

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put regular ep 90 in my 49 snow blower gear box. works great. gets way cold up here. makes better contact than grease.
I am just curious how cold does it get up there here it gets so -40f

·
15,000 +posts!
19,710 Posts
My theory is mixed grease is better than no grease!..same with motor oil--ANY oil is better than nothing,even drain oil is better than letting an engine run too low on oil..in a perfect world,everything would have the proper lube ,and changed often,etc..but how many things actually got that treatment?..in my experience,not many!..

I had a 4x4 truck front axle that had the enclosed axle u-joints in a ball & socket arrangement ,that were intended to be filled with 90W gear oil..the felt wiper seals always leaked,even new ones I installed--so I got frustrated, and at the advice of an older service tech at a GM dealer,I used a grease gun to pump in quite a bit of chassis grease after adding the gear lube,and after a few days,the drips started to go away...the grease formed a "clot" around the leaking felt seals and kept the lube from oozing out..never had any trouble with the u-joints and I drove that truck a long time that way..

·
Registered
843 Posts
I understand I am a little late but how about using some graphite, molybdeneum or teflon grease? Should enhance the protection against running dry. Costs very little in powder form and should be easy to add.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Dad used to mix Texaco Marfax 00 with tar 50/50 to make a mix that would stay on the bull gears of an old New Holland baler. Had to heat it up and dribble it on the running gears but it stayed put pretty well.

Mike

·
Registered
284 Posts
What does the equipment manufacturer say about mixing greases?

Most people do it not knowing what happens when mixed.

slomo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Digging this chestnut back up:

I can tell you that where I work, grease types are NEVER mixed. There are warnings all over the greases, all over the maintenance manuals and all over the equipment. In the manuals, it goes far enough to say that even if two greases have the same MILSPEC number, if they are made by different manufacturers, they are not to be mixed.

Of course, we don't work on mowers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mixing grease or oil shouldn't pose a problem if you change oil or put grease in on a normal routine to what manufacture says , because there is going to be a time or few when your equipment needs oil or grease and you don't have what you use and are in a pinch or jam and you need oil or grease

1 - 16 of 16 Posts