My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this for a friend.

His machine is having transmission issues and will not develop power in low range and will not move at all in high. He initially tried a fluid change but it did not solve the problem. Before taking things apart, is this a common issue on these or anything he should look for in particular? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In 2wd or 4wd?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a problem with mine that turned out to be both the couple and input shaft (the coupler lost the security bolt and slipped). Required splitting the tractor in 3.

That one specifically will show up with 2wd not working and only the front wheels pulling in 4wd.

In the second image the bottom shaft drives the front.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thinking on it, you could also unbolt the 2/4wd shifter and watch what the main shaft is doing.

I expect you will either see it spinning or slipping.

Testing the front drive (in 4wd) will indicate the problem I had.

If you get no movement or it is still not consistent when in 4wd, then you will need to drain the hydraulic fluid and pop the top off your case (but at least you dont need to split).

I note you are in WA, which is good as that makes you fairly close to get parts from Raffi.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking on it, you could also unbolt the 2/4wd shifter and watch what the main shaft is doing.

I expect you will either see it spinning or slipping.

Testing the front drive (in 4wd) will indicate the problem I had.

If you get no movement or it is still not consistent when in 4wd, then you will need to drain the hydraulic fluid and pop the top off your case (but at least you dont need to split).

I note you are in WA, which is good as that makes you fairly close to get parts from Raffi.

Thank you, Caustic!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Did you figure out the issue?

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for checking. I've passed along your suggestions to him and will have to find out what he discovers. Thanks!

·
Docsplace
43 Posts

Hi, I see you have a MT1601D, I have 1 and it has a stuck clutch, I have tried couple things to get it unstuck with no luck, It needs to be split, Did you have any problems or find good instructions for splitting yours.

I see you have some simplicity's, I also have 4, Good machines! My latest is a 92 Sunstar 20hp, With all the bells and whistles

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the Mitsubishi service manual for the MT160&MT180 as well as the I&T service manual for the MT series.

The original Mitsubishi one is more detailed than the attached photo from the whole clutch section in the I&T manual.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I could not remember if I had sent one in here; checking I did not see it so I sent it in to the technical section.

The one I sent is combined. The general repair manual and the 2-part service manual. Few hundred pages in total.

·
Docsplace
43 Posts
I don't remember but it is the repair manual for the MT160/160D & Mt180/180D 160H/180H. As far as I can tell it is the same tractor but maybe a little later and little larger model. The actual specs on some of the stuff is a little different but repair instructions are about the same. I think it may of been here, Got it back in 2013 is the download date. It don't show any details about splitting the tractor. I seen that technical section buy couldn't find it now. I'll keep looking. There is the Case 235/245/255 260 something like that were made for us market was the same tractors. I think they were single speed PTO's.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nope the MT1601D and MT1801D are grey market.

If yours is the same configuration as mine it is the MT160D chassis and the larger MT180 engine.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Docsplace
43 Posts
Nope the MT1601D and MT1801D are grey market.

If yours is the same configuration as mine it is the MT160D chassis and the larger MT180 engine.

So what's your thoughts about the grey market vs. us market, are they both built in japan on the same assembly line. Or Did they build them here in the us. are they basically same frame, engine, parts, but with different options, US models had ROPS.

·
Registered
187 Posts
From what I have read there are two versions, possibly 3 of the gray market tractors.

The best versions are the ones that were created in Japan when Mitsubishi decided to wind down the series and inventory it acquired from Satoh. It is unclear if Mitsubishi built these itself or if it had another contractor.

The questionable ones are the ones that come out of Vietnam or Korea. Those ones are well known to be built from tired and worn out tractors. They also are not consistent in their parts or configuration (different dash gauges, labels, lever locations etc.)

I would not trust any of the gray market ROPS, they were designed for a rollover in a flooded rice field and are not strong enough for a rollover on hard pack.

Case IH 235 and one of the Cub Cadet models are rebranded Mitsubishi MT160/MT180.

The main difference I have come across so far between the D version and non-D is 4wd and a small variation in the hydraulics.

The MT180D chassis may also be hydrostatic I believe. The service manual says MT180H/HD however I have yet to come across an H designated machine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts