My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some work around the house and cutting, routering and mitering trim to put up. Finishing up last bit for the day and bam. The plastic table insert shattered. Had the miter saw for about 15+ years and this is only issue I've had.
So went online to Ryobi site and couple others and the insert is no longer available. So after examining it, I see that it is just hard red plastic about 1/8" thick.
Wheels start turning and I remember I have some 1/8" plexiglass in the barn left over from some project. Go grab it and put it next to old piece and figure it should work.
There was enough of the old piece to be able to trace onto plexiglass. Rough cut with dremel. Finish up with rotary sander and file. Drilled holes to match locations on table and countersunk for screws. Finally attached and ran saw to cut slots as per owners manual. Removed insert and cleaned up edges of saw cut with file and reattached. Will test more tomorrow to see how it holds up.
Some pics. Old insert.

New next to old one.

New insert installed and ready for work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I make zero clearance inserts for my miter saw and table saw all the time. I make them out of a variety of materials. Before you break your new one use it as a pattern to pattern rout a new one.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
I've used PVC pipe that has been flattened and then cut to size. Works great.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I make zero clearance inserts for my miter saw and table saw all the time. I make them out of a variety of materials. Before you break your new one use it as a pattern to pattern rout a new one.
Ron
Already did that. Traced out 2 extras from the plexiglass and rough cut them out and put in toolbox if it happens again.
I've used PVC pipe that has been flattened and then cut to size. Works great.
How did you flatten? Heat, pressure or both?

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree with @Dave55 ....teak.
Will remove and paint underside red.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Already did that. Traced out 2 extras from the plexiglass and rough cut them out and put in toolbox if it happens again.

How did you flatten? Heat, pressure or both?
Four inch PVC pipe cut to sixteen inches (or whatever) in length then slit on one side. Place on wood board in oven at 300 degrees until soft. Using welding gloves, or similar, spread the PVC apart between two pieces of plywood to flatten and use small c-clamps to hold until cool. Many uses for the flat PVC. Oven is best for overall slow heating, but heat gun also works.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,989 Posts
I would think PVC would be a good choice, less brittle than plexi. But love the fix, John. Using what you got, and you're back in business (y)

·
Super Moderator
8,674 Posts
Brazilian Rosewood?....Looks like beautiful flooring material.....I have a table saw that I should do this with.....but it is useable as it is

1 - 20 of 45 Posts