My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still fighting with this LB 3056 Bricktop to get it running. I took the blade off the other day and something didn't look right. I remember seeing a picture of a another D400 motor and I think there is a seal missing here. Take a look at this picture and let me know if there is indeed something missing.
This is the blade side of the engine...

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think what you're not seeing is an extended base. In other words, the engine you have does not have the extended lower housing and bearing. If you were to remove the engine from the muffler, I suspect you'll find that the engine base ends flush at the mounting flange. The later D400's and all D600's were like that.

I don't have the parts manual for that model to confirm, but I think the switch occurred around 1970. My 1966 3053 with a D-430 has the extended base. It's also possible that engine was swapped at some time.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,269 Posts
Put a socket adapter in an electric drill and hook it to the flywheel nut...
Then put some gas in an oil can... Let the drill turn the flywheel while you squirt gas in the carb... After it starts keep squirting in the gas to keep it running... After a while it might take off on it's own... Dont forget to put some oil in the gas..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This mower is a 1970 3056 so it is very possible that you are right. So the gap between the crank shaft and that housing is supposed to be there right? I am not missing a seal there?

How do I get to the lower crank seal on this unit?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Remove the three bolts that hold the engine to the base. That's where you'll find the seal. You will also need to remove the blade adapter. There are a few methods to that. I use a two or three prong puller, and then add some heat carefully.

But...give Kbeitz's suggestion a try first. You'll want the blade installed for that - it will start easier.

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
Hawkeye called it. The engine seal is on the crank above the muffler plate. You just might find that the seal has fallen out and is laying in the muffler plate. Take the three bolts out that hold the engine to the muffler plate and lift the engine off the deck.

If you find that the exhaust seal has disintegrated you can make a new one out of some heavy cord wrapped around the male end that the female top slides down over.

Have you checked the ignition?

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
No need to mess the mower up, the crankshaft is dry, IF there were no seal, seal missing, it would be very wet.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Walt was right. Took the motor off the deck and the seal looked good as new.
So I put it back on and put the blade back on. Put it all back together and got it started but it still did not speed up, only a lumpy idle. I tried spraying some gas/oil mix into the carb with a spray bottle and it made not effect on how the engine ran. I did spray a little too much in a couple times and it flooded out.
I turned the needle adjustment from 2 turns out when it started and turned it all the way out and it made no difference. Turning it in from the 2 turns out caused it to die out.

Do I have an ignition timing problem here? Seems like it is running on the starting timing or something. Spark is bright and really snaps.
Exhaust ports are open, checked them already.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ITS ALIVE

Torn it down to the governor and checked that it could move correctly. Seemed fine to me, I sprayed some WD 40 on it just to make sure it could slide properly. Double checked the point gap again and made sure it was set to .020. Put it all back together and it started on the first pull and spun right up to mowing speed. This is my first lawnboy and I am loving that 2 stroke sound already.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Glad you got it running.. that 2 stroke burble is going to grow on you quick.:trink40:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts