My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Excell pressure washer that needs a miracle fix. It's got the 5hp Honda OHC which is awesome and it runs perfect, the pump however developed a hairline crack near the outlet for the wand and it gushes water. I dont have the equipment to weld aluminum and by the time I find a local welder and pay for the fix I might as well buy a new pump. Is there anything out there that will seal this up? Doesnt have to be perfect as long as it works. The new pumps are like $140 at best and it's just not worth it to me.

·
All Fired Up
454 Posts
Usually you have to drill a small hole at the end of the crack so it does not continue creeping. Around here aluminum welding is about $70 per inch. JB weld works great on steel, never tryed it on aluminum.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Buy another pump...dont waste money fixing a hopeless case...Northern Tool or other sources online can probably get you a new pump for 150 bucks or so...I had a pressure washer given to me with a cracked pump,J-B weld worked for about 5 minutes till the pump blew a larger hole in itself and then destructed!..I put a GM altenator on the engine to use as a portable battery booster/12V power source,but could easily put a new pump on it if I wanted to turn it back to original..

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Keep in mind that most of the entry level pressure washers were never intended to be fixed, and some use a splined crankshaft so the engine can't be used for anything else either.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
There is no miracle fix if its on the pressure side..To replace that pump would cost almost as much as a new cheapo.....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Anyway to patch it up with an old inner tube and some hose clamps?

Might be a cheap way to get 1 or 2 more uses out of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts