My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I ordered my new chain last week, and today I looked at my tractor and saw this:

and a close up of the shaft end itself that broke:

Anyone else have any experience with this- do I now have a total rebuild on my hands?

Thank you all in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Wow! How did that happen?

I suspect the easiest thing to do is find a new bottom end, swap it for the one that's on there, and pop your top end on it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
wonder if you could drill and tap and put a threaded rod between two broken halves does your mag turn free there's not much stress or load at that point unless missalighned or if the shaft bent

Anyway good luck Dave

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
wonder if you could drill and tap and put a threaded rod between two broken halves
You'd have to be way careful to get everything aligned so that it would turn true again. I don't see how to do a repair like that without tearing the whole bottom end apart and getting that camshaft into a lathe. Lotta work.

It is hard to see how that kind of break could happen short of some kind of alignment problem. But the fiber coupling that drives the mag is designed to take a certain amount of misalignment itself, rather than transferring that load to the shaft.

It's strange. I wonder if it was just an oddball manufacturing flaw which has been lurking there all these years, and decided to finally let go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The metal didn't seem terrible odd at the break- so it sounds like I have a parts mower that I can salvage parts from to put on a different one- hmmmm.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
WOW! I've never seen one break like that before. Something had to go very wrong for that to happen. I assuming that it had to be a misalignment problem, like the others said.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Honestly, replacing the camshaft is a dual pain. First of all, it will be a pain to actually find an exhaust cam on ebay or elsewhere -- unless someone wanted to donate it. Secondly, taking apart the bottom end is infinitely more difficult (and irritating) than just buying a 60 dollar bottom end on Ebay and bolting it up to the transmission, which is what I recommend. You should keep buying tractors so you have spare bottom ends around for moments like this :D

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Honestly, replacing the camshaft is a dual pain. First of all, it will be a pain to actually find an exhaust cam on ebay or elsewhere -- unless someone wanted to donate it. Secondly, taking apart the bottom end is infinitely more difficult (and irritating) than just buying a 60 dollar bottom end on Ebay and bolting it up to the transmission, which is what I recommend. You should keep buying tractors so you have spare bottom ends around for moments like this :D
Actually, some of us do. :p

Now for the posters problem.
It is strange that it broke there. The usual place is a little further out where the cam joins the extension.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, about 90 minutes of work, had this!

and this:

Now to pull the engine and find that bottom end. Which actually is really good. There was an oil leak out the back, could not get the electric start sprocket off to save my life(going to need to get that socket from those guys I believe) and the oil was really milky, so welcome to a more indepth restoration!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, it wanted to rain for 30 seconds, so I covered everything over, went out and got white appliance epoxy and painted up the 106 mower- looks nice- today was a good gravely day.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So of course, me scouring ebay has led to no leads on a bottom end, but there are a couple of decent machines I may have to look at, and apparently sept 4th there is a swap meet down in southern PA I'll now be going to.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts