My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was mowing yesterday and the tractor shorted out somewhere. I think it may have been either the rectifier or the ignition switch. The stator wires to the rectifier were melted pretty badly. Not a lot of room in there to work on it and it was getting late.

I need to see if I can pull out the battery/oil tank plate and gain enough room to access the wiring and reroute. The access panel by your feet really does not allow much access.

Engine is a Linamar LX770. It was put in 4 years ago by the PO.

Is there a better rectifier or regulator to use on these tractors?

I know there will be a fuse in line when it goes back together.
Terry

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Don't know what to tell you. I too hope it's minor.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I don't think that I'd be blaming the R/R. Instead, I'd be looking for dead shorts in the stator wiring or the stator coil. The inline fuse provides no protection on that circuit.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like it was a bad ground or connection somewhere. Could have been any number of places. The wires to the ammeter and ignition switch were toasty. What gauge wire to use. 16? I do not want to use too light weight a wire and have more problems in the future. Gonna try to get this fixed today so I can start it then check out the charging system. Hope the stator is not fried.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it rewired and ran ALL the wires through a protective sheath. Started right up and is putting out voltage to the batt once again. There were a couple of different places where the wires were melted together. Hard to tell just what the culprit was. Probably squeezed together or pinched some place out of sight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts