My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently stumbled across the website for the JohnnyBucket Jr... seems like a pretty impressive product from what I've read. I currently don't have a tractor, but am in the market for one and I can see where this would make it a lot more useful to me.

I'm looking for recommendations/thoughts about how small of a tractor I could go with and have it work well with the bucket. I'm just starting my research, but I'm currently leaning toward the Craftsman YT 3000 or 4000. I've seen on the JB website that these are listed these as "compatible" with the bucket, so I'm sure they would work well for moving loose material. However, Sears doesn't really recommended these for ground engagement, so I'm wondering if they would be practical for more heavy-duty work like removing existing topsoil, or if I would need to go to a larger unit for something like that.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
You could put it on a push mower, it will just do less.

That is the reality of this question.

No matter what is selected as the smallest machine, somebody will put it on a smaller machine, just to prove that it can be done.

:fing32:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would advise you not to put a JBJR on any new style craftsman. The frames are not strong enough to lift any substantial load. I told myself I would only lift light loads but after a couple of uses I tried to maximize my load and subsequently bent the frame on my 2009 GTS5000. I would recommend you buy any older style craftsman like the GT5000 (non step thru frame) or preferably and 80's or 90's garden tractor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess that's true, although the gist of my question was really around what's practical (I know that's subjective) for doing more than just moving mulch or other loose material around.

A slightly different question that would also help would be if anyone has it mounted on a similar machine and what their experience has been?

·
Premium Member
9,903 Posts
The buckets are only recommended for moving loose materials. To dig, you are supposed to loosen the ground with a tiller first (not kidding).

Even moving "loose" stuff requires weight. Digging into a pile of mulch and getting a full bucket before losing traction is a real concern. The fix is obvious, but then there's lots of weight at the extreme ends of the tractor.

Mike

·
22,342 Posts
The bottom line is that anyone who installs a JBjr on his tractor will eventually make full use of its capabilities as badbascomb has stated. Never mind the determination of limiting it to light loads, it is going to happen.

If the front of the chosen tractor's frame is not strong enough to deal with a proper FEL, it will not survive the even greater load that any of the mini loaders can apply to it with the same payload.

All of the load, both the payload and the weight of the loader, is ahead of the front axle.

Then there is the tendency to try to scoop the material off the ground with a transaxle that is not rated for that type of work when using less than a GT, and there are a few entry level GTs that fall into that same category.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good input and advice!

I've never used one but I do like the Johnnybuckets and I'm confident it would be a welcome addition to my GT. For now, based on reading here at MTF, a cart for moving loose/bagged materials and personal needs will be a better, more cost efficient investment. Not that a Johnnybucket isn't a want, simply prioritizing attachments/accessories to get the most bang for my bucks.

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Good input and advice!

I've never used one but I do like the Johnnybuckets and I'm confident it would be a welcome addition to my GT. For now, based on reading here at MTF, a cart for moving loose/bagged materials and personal needs will be a better, more cost efficient investment. Not that a Johnnybucket isn't a want, simply prioritizing attachments/accessories to get the most bang for my bucks.

:thThumbsU
I agree with the cart for moving loose material, I have used it to move tons to the garden.

Hmmmm... I do not seem to have a front axle issue! :dunno:

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I recently stumbled across the website for the JohnnyBucket Jr... seems like a pretty impressive product from what I've read. I currently don't have a tractor, but am in the market for one and I can see where this would make it a lot more useful to me.

I'm looking for recommendations/thoughts about how small of a tractor I could go with and have it work well with the bucket. I'm just starting my research, but I'm currently leaning toward the Craftsman YT 3000 or 4000. I've seen on the JB website that these are listed these as "compatible" with the bucket, so I'm sure they would work well for moving loose material. However, Sears doesn't really recommended these for ground engagement, so I'm wondering if they would be practical for more heavy-duty work like removing existing topsoil, or if I would need to go to a larger unit for something like that.
If the tractor and attachments that are not manufactured as a combination or recommended by the tractor manufacturer.

Use at your own risk .

·
Registered
905 Posts
<<<<<for what it is worth, see my picture, digging loose stuff is no problem, and I do "dig" in hard clay, but it is more like scraping 2-3 inches at a time. Traction is my biggest problem. When the wheels spin I just raise the bucket a little. The blade on the back is more for weight but it is helpful at times. That is the first model PGT9000 made by Husqvarna. Nothing is bent yet.

:dunno:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would advise you not to put a JBJR on any new style craftsman. The frames are not strong enough to lift any substantial load. I told myself I would only lift light loads but after a couple of uses I tried to maximize my load and subsequently bent the frame on my 2009 GTS5000. I would recommend you buy any older style craftsman like the GT5000 (non step thru frame) or preferably and 80's or 90's garden tractor.
Wow. Thank you for sharing that. Looks like my first major step will be frame reinforcement...

·
I break things
406 Posts
Simply put, you will likely kill the transaxle in short order on the tractors you are looking at. Loose material or not, those tractors are not heavy enough, and the transaxle does not put enough power to the ground.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Correct. All of the gears in the drivetrain are factory built to withstand up to a certain amount of weight, abuse, or pounding. Sure they could be built heavier but that would just raise the price of the overall tractor for no benefit to the average homeowner. Now to put a JBJr on that tractor, where the drivetrain isn't built for such loads, is just going to blow apart the drivetrain gears in no time flat. It might last for a day or a week or whatever but eventually, you'll have a JBjr on a tractor and the tractor has a blown transmission..............

·
Premium Member
9,785 Posts
john 9001 has a "modern" Craftsman with a stronger transmission than the 3000 you are talking about. I gave my son my '08 Craftsman YT, similar to the 3000, and it is still going strong (frantically knocking on wood) doing mowing and snow removal, but even mowing you can feel the frame twist when traversing uneven ground. I wouldn't think of putting a Johnny Bucket on it.

That said, if you find a nice used heavy duty GT that fits a Johnny Bucket model, the JB is of excellent quality. I have mine on an old Deere 318 or my x748 using an adapter made for me by a member here and it is a great combination.

·
JD Ken
21 Posts
I have a JBJR hitch on 2 machines and move the bucket between them. Bucket, Bucket extender, Tooth bar, brush bars. 1) JD X590, Hands down works awsome, Power steering makes it breeze. 2) Cub Cadet 2165. Much lighter machine. I have to have plenty of counter weight on rear, 80+ lbs. I've moved decorative stone, and top soil with it. With weight on rear, not bad. With no weight, it's dangerous. the rear end gets light, and going down hill you may not stop. The other thing is with a smaller machine you must use steering wisely. With alot of weight in the bucket like i had, you don't try to turn the steering when not moving. It's much easier to be moving and turn then standing still. Not a big deal, once you learn this, it's no problem. This is only with heavy loads. with Lighter loads, it works fine doing everything. I do enjoy the johnny bucket JR. The 200 lb lifting limit i thought would be a problem, but really not at all.

·
Premium Member
9,903 Posts
I have a JBJR hitch on 2 machines and move the bucket between them.
Any chance you could post some pics of this process? I bought mine used, but it came without a manual. I'd really like to know how to remove the bucket.

I emailed Johnny for one, but never got one.

Thanks.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts