My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work a block away from Lowes and HD, and frequently surf for bargains in the closeout aisle at lunchtime. Two years ago I picked up a NIB Ryobi trimmer/edger combo for $29.95. After going on line to look at reviews, I found out why they probably couldn't sell it - everything negative, won't start, piece of junk, etc.

it is cold blooded, but always starts and if allowed to warm up runs fine.
This year i was shopping for a tiller to do the wife's flower beds and ran across a tiller attachment at Lowes that fits a variety of trimmer heads, including the Ryobi, for $99. I was forced to tag along shopping one day at Wal-Mart, and they had the same thing in a Poulan pro for $85, so I bought it.

I had low expectations for this outfit, but found out it works way better than I thought! It handled small brush roots, light sod and some fairly hard packed ground. No shortage of power when revved up. It is like a mantis, but I think you can control it better with the trimmer's grab loop and handle than with wheelbarrow style grips - more down pressure. It only digs about 4 inches, but hey, it's not an old troybilt horse!

For $115 for a three function tool (and other attachments will fit - brush cutter, etc) I feel pretty good, even if it melts down in a couple of years.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have a Poulan string trimmer and a troy-built tiller head, It works good for weeding in the garden, but not so much for tilling. I call it a powered hoe.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
About 5 pumps on the the primer, set at full choke. Once it starts it will die out somewhat quickly. Prime again 3 times and turn choke to half-way. Once it starts, hit the gas, then turn choke off in a few seconds.

Works every time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts