My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need something to weed between rows of my garden, so I put an ad on Facebook last night. Got an answer that a guy at our local flea market had a couple. Went today on my lunch break. These were so cheap, I grabbed both. The Noma with Tecumseh engine started after a few pulls. Needs a tune up though. The Ryobi needs fuel lines redone. Will see which I like better once I get them both going.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hope at least one of them will work for you because they are great for weeding around plants etc. Ive been using a Mantis Cultivator for several years and it has reached the end of its life I'm afraid.I can't imagine gardening without one now so I'm in market for new one.

Would like to hear how these work out for you! Good luck!

·
Joe
1,165 Posts
I hope at least one of them will work for you because they are great for weeding around plants etc. Ive been using a Mantis Cultivator for several years and it has reached the end of its life I'm afraid.I can't imagine gardening without one now so I'm in market for new one.
Mantis' are the only small tillers I will use.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
I had a neighbor who swore by Mantis.

Me, wanting to minimize engines to maintain, bought a grass trimmer with tiller attachment. Works great, but the weight of the engine is on the wrong end to be helpful (need it at the tines, not the top of the pole). In tough soil, the tiller won't dig, it just bounces over the top.

I add weight (ankle-wraparound exercise weights) to the tiller end, which helps with the digging; but you still have to lug that extra weight around, and the engine weight is just extra burden.

Mike

·
Administrator
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tend to agree Mike. I have had both these running now and the Noma seems to dig in better and seems more balanced. I need to rebuild the carb on it though, keeps stalling. Waiting for a kit.

I am sure the Mantis ones are great, but the cost for a new one is out of the question. I paid $80 for the pair of these.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
I wouldn't buy a new Mantis, they show up barely used on CL all the time (not as cheap as the ones you found, of course).

Mike

·
Registered
766 Posts
Being a majority of one, I don't like Mantis tillers. Perhaps it's because I'm used to tillers with WHEELS and didn't take the time to learn to manipulate the mantis properly. I'd read all the glowing "recco's" and bought one new. Sold it about a month later. I just like a small tiller with wheels that will stand where you left it, also think the wheels help the tiller to track better. Admittedly, a mantis can be maneuvered easily between and among things, but that's what a hoe is for. My requirement for one is to go between the rows. My small tiller of choice is a 20 year old Craftsman cultivator with a 2HP Echo two cycle engine.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My kid has a Honda tiller, 4 stroke, can't remember if it has wheels or not,
but it does a great job. It's very light and starts right up.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Being a majority of one, I don't like Mantis tillers. Perhaps it's because I'm used to tillers with WHEELS and didn't take the time to learn to manipulate the mantis properly. I'd read all the glowing "recco's" and bought one new. Sold it about a month later. I just like a small tiller with wheels that will stand where you left it, also think the wheels help the tiller to track better. Admittedly, a mantis can be maneuvered easily between and among things, but that's what a hoe is for. My requirement for one is to go between the rows. My small tiller of choice is a 20 year old Craftsman cultivator with a 2HP Echo two cycle engine.
Makes sense. Can you post a pic?

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Looks great, thanks for posting.

Mike

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
A wheel kit is an extra cost option for the Mantis. I have found them to be much better quality, the cheaper ones showed up at the shop more often and were usually not worth repairing. The gearboxes piled up which means replacing them.

·
Choke's stuck on!
495 Posts
I sold a good running craftsman mini tiller when i got my TB Horse. Really wish I'd kept that thing for between plants when their small. I set rows so the Horse can go between and turn around, but can't get right up to the plants.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner...

I could probably think of a way to add a wheel to one of the attachments.

Mike

·
Administrator
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner...

I could probably think of a way to add a wheel to one of the attachments.

Mike

The wheels are nice, but I think they also need a peg at the back like the larger tillers have so they don't run away from you so much

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
I was thinking of something like the wheels shown on the units in this thread, but with the ability to flip it up out of the way when needing to go deep.

I suppose it could just as easily be set up to swap out a peg, or remove either.

Mike

·
Registered
766 Posts
I was thinking of something like the wheels shown on the units in this thread, but with the ability to flip it up out of the way when needing to go deep.

I suppose it could just as easily be set up to swap out a peg, or remove either.

Mike
Wheels are reversible bringing the drag stake into use. The bar with the wheels/drag stake has a series of holes so height/depth is adjustable, metal pin and cotter pin. Also has four tines, reversible and individually removable. Totally fantastic little machine. Engine is an Echo which is no problem, dreading when the worm gear drive goes. :-(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts