My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I am no pro but your beads are consistence which is good but I think your travel is too slow. You are depositing too much metal. Your bead should be the thickness of the metal you are welding.

I agree regarding the welds.

Metal prep is huge with MIG. I thought most of the welds looked a little "cold" too. Fusion on the edges could be better with a flatter bead profile.

Practice, practice practice.

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments on this old thread. I've since learned Dual Shield etc and am much better IMO when it comes to laying a nice bead. Yes heat was an issue and now I weld a bit too hot and some times get a bit of undercut at the edges of the puddle. Still love this Rebel EMP 215ic. NO REGRETS! It's my credo joke ! But seriously I love the machine. I've since purchase an ESAB Migmaster 250, Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC and a Miller Matic 35s just to have other options and machines set up for different gauge materials etc. Unfortunately I don't play with them enough or as much as I'd like to. Metal is not cheap just for playing around with some hot electrical's

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Here is one of the John Deere Loader projects I did that I posted here after I got a little better using the Rebel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the comments on this old thread. I've since learned Dual Shield etc and am much better IMO when it comes to laying a nice bead. Yes heat was an issue and now I weld a bit too hot and some times get a bit of undercut at the edges of the puddle. Still love this Rebel EMP 215ic. NO REGRETS! It's my credo joke ! But seriously I love the machine. I've since purchase an ESAB Migmaster 250, Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC and a Miller Matic 35s just to have other options and machines set up for different gauge materials etc. Unfortunately I don't play with them enough or as much as I'd like to. Metal is not cheap just for playing around with some hot electrical's
I don't really understand the multi-process machines. Once you spend the hours setting up a welder who wants to change to a different process. It is much better to have multiple machines. The ones you bought are all good. I wish I had some of them. I only have 3 welders, Victor torch, and 1 plasma.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is one of the John Deere Loader projects I did that I posted here after I got a little better using the Rebel.

I did not read the thread but scanned for welds. I saw a bracket you welded. The welds across looked like the gun angle was off a little and you had big holes in the edge weld. Most of the weld across was on the base plate to where the gun was to vertical.

I am not much better but I just finished a MIG class at my local college and I made all the same mistakes. I am retired and like welding. I was just trying to be helpful and this tread came up.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
That's the beauty of this machine. It only take's a minute or two to change out the process. Very very easy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's the beauty of this machine. It only take's a minute or two to change out the process. Very very easy.
I guess I an too old. It is a young mans' world now. I remember all the old welding ways as I took my stick class in like 1980 give or take a year or 2. I have slept since then.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Oh and at just over 40lbs it is very easily turned into a mobil unit.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts