My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
:thThumbsU Thank you MI GT... Yes I am having a lot of fun figuring this thing out.

On another note my victor Viking 3350 just arrived Woo Hoo. OMG I can't believe how easy it is to see through the blue lens on this thing. :bananapow

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
A good lens is much easier on the eyes. I can see the puddle better and where I'm going. I've been lightening mine up a little at a time to see how far I can go and not get blinded..
Have fun and be safe
Jim

·
Professional Amateur
1,269 Posts
You're gonna love that helmet! It works absolutely awesome!!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Congrats N2, very nice setup!

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
GTN you are in the know. This helmet is superb. Still trying to get use to the fitment around my cranium. Getting a little headache behind my ears. Just not use to it yet. I think I'll try adjusting the two middle straps that cross over the top of my head between the forehead pad and rear swiveling pad. Regardless the helmet kicks but.

Thank you 396. I'm finding things I like and dislike about the welder. However I understand being my first time welding mig and using poor 1/8" material may be playing a part. So for now I will say I'm very pleased with it and my abilities to weld 1/4" materials

Not sure on this but my brother wanted me to adjust my gas pressure to try and change the welding consistancy. I'm under the impression that not enough gas creates a lot of spatter so more/higher pressure is better. Please any one let me me know if I'm wrong.

I should probably be over on the ESAB forum but I trust there is enough tractor fabricators her to get me on the right track with welding settings per process. At this point 1/8" is proving to be inconsistant with the used materials. I am a quick study but know there is always things I can easily miss or overlook when it comes to learning new things like welding. I think im pretty consistent with my travel speed and hight off the object being fused. So at this point I'm thinking there is a setting off somehow because 1/8" won't stay consistent. I've let the welder cool off plenty between practice beads so I don't think dut cycle would be the factor causing the inconsistacies.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
20cfh should be good on your low pressure. Maybe a bit higher if outside or if you have a draft in the shop.
Inconsistent weld can come from a lot of things, how fast you are moving, try to keep the same speed, wire stick out, try to maintain 1/2" or less. To long the wire will wander. Wire speed, temp can also do it. Sometimes on lighter metal settings to the lower end may be better.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Thank you MI GT. The gas was set at about 30 cfh . The welder itself changes the Amps and Volts while I'm welding. They fluctuate up and down. When the volts drop off is when I get the inconsistent welds. Basically I am listening to the buzz and it gets very choppy almost like the welder is turning off and on multiple times like I have a bad ground or something. The ground clamp and cable are not hot so I don't think bad ground is the issue. I even tried to put the welder in Manual mode to set my own perimeters and the same thing the amps and volts fluctuate up and down. So far this is only happening on 1/8" steel. When I practice on 1/4" the buzz and welds stay very consistent with a nice frying bacon sound.

I'm pretty sure I'm staying consistent with my stick-out depth from material and travel speed. Only thing I have noticed is my angle is not always the same but I can't see why the welder would be changing the amps and volts because of that.

I'll get some pictures of my welds and show you what I'm talking about.

this is quoted from an ESAB REP on the Welderweb forum.

Quote:

Some people were asking about the functionality of the machine, so I put some of the main features below.

Overall
User Manual Built Into Machine
Wear Parts List Built in Machine for Mig Gun and Feed Roll
Built in parameter guide for each process
4 memory positions for each process
110v/230v
240 amps
5 handle design for portability ease (pulling in and out of truck) handles also act as a bumper
4.3" Screen (larger than any machine in its class)
40lbs
8" or 4" spools
Tweco Fusion gun (tweco connection), Tweco Ground Clamp, Electrode Holder, Tig Torch, and Victor Regulator
3 year warranty
100 day 100% satisfaction guarantee

Mig
Smart Mig- set wire diameter and plate thickness, the machine sets itself and adapts to how you weld. You change your stick out, the machine changes for you to keep you dialed in. This is something that we had on the Caddymig 200i called Qset. Qset was developed and improved further and the name changed to Smart Mig or SMig
Voltage Trim on SMig- welder hotter or colder based on SMig settings
Regular Mig-- set wfs and voltage
Inductance Control
Pre and Post Gas Flow
Burn Back Control
Spot Timer
Trigger Lock
FC Wire Selector
4 memory positions
Tweco Mig Gun Connection
Spool Gun Option

Stick
you can whip 6010 electrodes
6010/6011 electrode selector for fine tuned settings
Arc Force Control
Hot Start
4 memory position

Tig
DC Lift Tig
Slope Up/Down
Trigger Lock
5-240 amps on 230v
Foot Control Option with pin connector
4 memory positions

Rebel

End Quote :

So it may be me changing my stick-out depth but that don't explain why I have very consistent welds on 1/4" then weld 1/8" and it's all over the place. :dunno:

Edit: I just registered for FABTECH 2016 in Las Vegas :fing32:

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This is about 2 hours of time playing with smig and mig settings on 1/8".

Attachments

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Then after all the 1/8" I decided to try 1/4" in smig mode. Boom nice consistent beeds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Shouldn't make a difference, but what dia wire are you using? Maybe the smart mode doesn't like your wire for 1/8".
Second picture of the 1/8" doesn't look to bad. Try some butt welds ,lap welds and filet welds and see what happens.
There's a thing in welding to help you get better it's called practice. I'm sure it will all fall together, and you'll be like duh!
You're doing good for just starting out.
Jim

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I took sheet metal and welding shop in high school so I have basic fundamentals with oxy acetylene and arc welding

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Oh I'm using the .030 wire

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
OK it's official, this welder rocks when used as intended. I was doing everything correctly except for using adequate 1/8" material. I was using old sitting outside rusting away 1/8" x 4" x 4" square tubing thinking I could grind the rust off and lay down some nice beads. Boy was I wrong.

So any way i decided after picking up a 3 drawer mini file cabinet on CL for next to nothing intending to use as the base structure in the design of a welding cart I'm conjuring up in my head to stop by home Depot for a few things. I ended up getting a Milwaukee portaband saw and some clean 1 1/4" x 1/8" x 36" to test my theory on why the welder was so I'll behaved last night on 1/8" material.

Am I ever glad I did. I proved my theory right and established 100% confidence that I picked the right machine for my intended uses.

Figured I'd share my makeshift temporary welding cart and table. Oh and the Hobart 10# spool and channel lock mig pliers were waiting for me when I got home from retrieving the file cabinet and home Depot items

Last is a few different types of welds I tried after cutting up six 1 1/4" x 1/8" x 2" coupons using the new band saw.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There ya go, easy resolution.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'm glad it was an easy solution to the problem.

Tonight I used the new saw to cut 2 x 18" sections from a 5'6" barb wire post and added those to two other identical posts to give me 2 x 7' posts for use with an apple tree we planted in the front yard that was developing a lean to one side.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Results.

Attachments

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
I got started on the welding cart. I would start a new thread but most of the info relating to why I'm making the cart is already in this thread. .

Attachments

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I made some progress the other night. I'm finding it difficult to make precise cuts to length as well as square.

Attachments

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Looking back to this thread. Wow, it's been a minute and my welding cart still never got finished. I moved on to other things and never got back to finishing this cart :/

As far as my review on the machine. It did have some problems that I was able to work through by making an adjustment while in smig mode. Basically if I tried to use the same settings with out making any changes after shutting the machine down and powering back on the machine would weld like doggy do do with all kinds of inconsistencies unless I changed the parameters from the last setting either down or up then back to where I need them. I was able to work with through it for a few years with the little bit of welding I do but my warranty period was about up so I decided I better get it checked out. I reached out to a member on another forum that repairs welders for a living with in a 30 min drive from me and he suggested I have the software updated. I did and have been welding with it smooth sailing ever since.

I love this machine.... It makes welding fun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am no pro but your beads are consistence which is good but I think your travel is too slow. You are depositing too much metal. Your bead should be the thickness of the metal you are welding.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts