My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep my tractor and a few other things in a Costco enclosure. I keep one end open and the roof vents open to try and maintain some air circulation. Last spring, I had mildew on the tractor seat and steering wheel, some leather gloves and the seat on my scooter. I've already noticed it starting this year and we just had our first Fall rains here in WA.

Anyone had experience with this and if so have you found a solution?

Regards,

Dan

·
MTD 990 Twactor Guy
574 Posts
Dan,

I had a similar problem this year from storing my tractors in one of those tarp sheds. I added the end vents, but the damage was done. My latest tractor purchase included a soft cab (made by Original Cab). It was in relatively good condition when I brought it home, but one winter in the tarp shed and it was all mold. So, I went on a search for the best mold cleaner / controller I could find.

Came across a product simply called Mold Control, made by concrobium, with the active ingrediant being sodium carbonate. It sprays on and kills the mold spores on contact, and, so it says, provides a barrier so it doesn't grow back. I sprayed it on and let it dry for a full day. Today, I took the hose to it and cleaned everything off. All the mold came off very easily - looks great. Now, I'll see how it holds up from preventing new growth.

Those tarp sheds are inexpensive, don't require a building permit and easy to put up, but they sure hold the humidity - even with the end vents. I make sure that everything in there is covered with an extra tarp or fitted cover.

Good luck with it! If you find something else that works - let us know.
Rich

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
If you can put down a concrete floor, with a brush finish and don't seal it and don't vacuum it, just kind of leave it a little dusty.

Also eave vents and roof peak vents will take care of it.

You need to get some air moving through it.

I have a car body I sand blasted about 4 years ago hanging on a rotoisserie, it never rusts in this type of a building.

I'm about a quarter mile from Lake Michigan and we get long wet moisture laden cold springs here, but it still doesn't rust.

Roof vents don't get it, you need the roof peak vents.

I just found this, its called a ridge vent. http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/products/ridgeVents.shtml

Rob

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rich and all the other responders.

I'll check out the Mold Control product.

Cleaning the mold in the spring isn't a problem. I'm looking for something that will prevent the problem and it sounds like that might do the trick.

Who knows. Some day I might have a climate controlled garage for all these things. ... Naw, who am I kidding.

Regards,

Dan

Dan,

Came across a product simply called Mold Control, made by concrobium, with the active ingrediant being sodium carbonate. It sprays on and kills the mold spores on contact, and, so it says, provides a barrier so it doesn't grow back. I sprayed it on and let it dry for a full day. Today, I took the hose to it and cleaned everything off. All the mold came off very easily - looks great. Now, I'll see how it holds up from preventing new growth.

Those tarp sheds are inexpensive, don't require a building permit and easy to put up, but they sure hold the humidity - even with the end vents. I make sure that everything in there is covered with an extra tarp or fitted cover.

Rich

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Not sure what a "costco building" is--but it's moisture that's getting you--IF it has a dirt floor,put some plastic down then gravel.Vent it as suggested.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what a "costco building" is--but it's moisture that's getting you--IF it has a dirt floor,put some plastic down then gravel.Vent it as suggested.
I like that idea.

Thanks,

Dan

(The Costco shelter uses a tarp material over a pipe frame. It is vented at the top and has zippered "doors" at both ends.)

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Besides venting to control further growth, I have used a product called Microban with great results for killing it. About 25 dollars for a gallon, which goes really far.

Donjon has it.....Sylvane too.

·
Village Idiot
315 Posts
Just roll the bottom of the side tarps up an inch or two, also a large bag of charcoal cut open will suck up alot of moisture. We use one sitting on the floor in our popup camper to help with mildew. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts