My Tractor Forum banner
141 - 160 of 183 Posts

· Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
One last quick thing done today. I had forgotten to touch up the back of the light pods as the way it hung while painting they were tough to get at. Gave them a quick scuff and shot them, now the fenders are completed until I tape off and shoot white!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
14,404 Posts
Made some headway this weekend! When I started this build I had bought the pieces for the "Poor Man's Power Steering" upgrade. Instead of a kit I just pieced it together from Mcmaster-Carr. The part numbers are 2 years old now but should be good

Next up I assembled one side and the other side wouldn't go. It turned out at some point the top of the spindle flange got hit in and wouldn't go over the rim. I stopped by my Dad's as he had some tapered 3/4" drive sockets that fit perfect over the spindle. A few taps and we were in business!

The PMPS installed on the spindles

The front of the rims look good also. I had to cut down new bolts as they are only 5/16 by 1/2" long

I painted a few small transmission pieces as well as the washers to go on the top side of the steering spindles

Other small wins was picking up the hardware to install the side cover and the seat assembly

And I reorganized the parts pile today, its much smaller now! Next up is transmission work and finish the foot rests

I missed this update. You're making good headway, Mikey. (y) I also went with V61s on the 140.

· MTF Member
1,307 Posts
Made some headway this weekend! When I started this build I had bought the pieces for the "Poor Man's Power Steering" upgrade. Instead of a kit I just pieced it together from Mcmaster-Carr. The part numbers are 2 years old now but should be good

Next up I assembled one side and the other side wouldn't go. It turned out at some point the top of the spindle flange got hit in and wouldn't go over the rim. I stopped by my Dad's as he had some tapered 3/4" drive sockets that fit perfect over the spindle. A few taps and we were in business!

The PMPS installed on the spindles

The front of the rims look good also. I had to cut down new bolts as they are only 5/16 by 1/2" long

I painted a few small transmission pieces as well as the washers to go on the top side of the steering spindles

Other small wins was picking up the hardware to install the side cover and the seat assembly

And I reorganized the parts pile today, its much smaller now! Next up is transmission work and finish the foot rests

You talked about the "poor mans power steering". Two questions. Did you have enough shaft length to accommodate the extra thickness of the bearings? And two. Are planning on putting any kind of weight on them (snowblower or such). Guess I'm wondering if they'll hold up with weight on front.?
Ok 3 questions..😉

· Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 · (Edited)
I missed this update. You're making good headway, Mikey. (y) I also went with V61s on the 140.
Thanks Dave! Would you mind posting a pic of your 140?
You talked about the "poor mans power steering". Two questions. Did you have enough shaft length to accommodate the extra thickness of the bearings? And two. Are planning on putting any kind of weight on them (snowblower or such). Guess I'm wondering if they'll hold up with weight on front.?
Ok 3 questions..
I did have enough shaft length on these spindles. The Sears uses a flat washer below and above the axle normally, so I removed the bottom flat washer to replace it with the PMPS washers. It will have slightly less freeplay up and down but will not be tight

I do have front mounted attachments for the Sears tractors (snowblower, front mount generator) but this one truthfully won't see too much hard work. If this works I may put it on one of my working tractors also if it appears to help at all. The Sears tractors are known to have light steering to start with, I have a Suburban 12 with skinny tri ribs and it steers like butter without anything changed

On the 3rd question you'll just have to stay tuned in to find out

· Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Here you go, Mikey.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the fenders combined with the Tru Powers on your tractor. The LEDs and white paint treatment will be the icing on the cake. I predict a great look!

View attachment 2576132
Thanks Dave! Your RF 140 is still one of my favorite builds I followed here. I hope mine turns out half as good!

· Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and a happy new year! I had some time off for the Holidays so got a little bit done. Mainly small jobs like cleaning up more transmission parts and starting assembly! I went thru and retapped all the holes, cleaned the shifter parts and got that ready for assembly.

I also had my V61s from Miller Tire come in yesterday! A reminder for MTF members if you use that as a coupon code on their site you get 5% off

I had ordered some self adhesive skateboard grip tape as it looked very similar to original. I'm not a big arts and crafts guy and my girlfriend wanted to help, so she was kind enough to cut it out for me! I had measured wrong and am waiting on a 2nd sheet of it for the other foot rest

Hopefully more progress coming soon

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and a happy new year! I had some time off for the Holidays so got a little bit done. Mainly small jobs like cleaning up more transmission parts and starting assembly! I went thru and retapped all the holes, cleaned the shifter parts and got that ready for assembly.

I also had my V61s from Miller Tire come in yesterday! A reminder for MTF members if you use that as a coupon code on their site you get 5% off

I had ordered some self adhesive skateboard grip tape as it looked very similar to original. I'm not a big arts and crafts guy and my girlfriend wanted to help, so she was kind enough to cut it out for me! I had measured wrong and am waiting on a 2nd sheet of it for the other foot rest

Hopefully more progress coming soon

She's smiling because she knows once you finish it she gets some space back!

· Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,994 Posts
She's helping out with a tractor project. That's a keeper. (y)

· Registered
579 Posts
Wait, what is the coupon code for Miller?

· Super Moderator
16,253 Posts

· Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,994 Posts
Just enter MTF in the coupon box. If that doesn't work, give them a call and tell them you are a member here.

· Super Moderator
14,404 Posts
That's why I gave Mikey's post a :love:. It was for his GF. There she is with a big smile, while cutting out tractor footrest pads, while surrounded by newly painted tractor parts of various sizes in Mikey's apartment. How can you not love that? You are very lucky, Mikey!

· Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Just enter MTF in the coupon box. If that doesn't work, give them a call and tell them you are a member here.
As Al said enter "MTF" in the box. It worked fine for me here recently. I found an old thread with it and thought I would try it 5% off never hurts. It was cheaper to buy it from Miller Tire directly than their Ebay store as I compared both for the V61s

· Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
She's smiling because she knows once you finish it she gets some space back!
And attention!
You guys would think that's the case, but at Christmas with my family her question was "once the tractor in your house is done when can we paint one up for me for tractor shows"... looks like I have more work ahead. I said we always used the Hahn machines and she saw the sad RMD400 that I got during covid from a buddy (so I have 3 now) and said it was cute and would look good in pink or baby blue for her... I think I'm in trouble boys
She is definitely a keeper Al! She's been a big help and supporter of it and actually helps keep me motivated to get it done
That's why I gave Mikey's post a :love:. It was for his GF. There she is with a big smile, while cutting out tractor footrest pads, while surrounded by newly painted tractor parts of various sizes in Mikey's apartment. How can you not love that? You are very lucky, Mikey!
You are too kind Dave! Sabrina is definitely one of a kind. I always joke that I didn't think I would have anyone not think I'm a crazy person for building a tractor in my house. She already said "when we redo my tractor we can do it in the house too over the winter so it's nice and warm to work". This may not be the only house tractor in my collection, and it looks like more painting in my future

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
You guys would think that's the case, but at Christmas with my family her question was "once the tractor in your house is done when can we paint one up for me for tractor shows"... looks like I have more work ahead. I said we always used the Hahn machines and she saw the sad RMD400 that I got during covid from a buddy (so I have 3 now) and said it was cute and would look good in pink or baby blue for her... I think I'm in trouble boysShe is definitely a keeper Al! She's been a big help and supporter of it and actually helps keep me motivated to get it doneYou are too kind Dave! Sabrina is definitely one of a kind. I always joke that I didn't think I would have anyone not think I'm a crazy person for building a tractor in my house. She already said "when we redo my tractor we can do it in the house too over the winter so it's nice and warm to work". This may not be the only house tractor in my collection, and it looks like more painting in my future

You are a lucky man that she likes them!

· Super Moderator
16,253 Posts
Mikey, you definitely have something good going on. Whether she is interested in this or trying to be a part of your interest is a win either way. Make sure you reciprocate.

141 - 160 of 183 Posts