My Tractor Forum banner

Mikman48's Suburban Restoration

11401 Views 182 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  MikMan48
Now that my other Sears tractors are coming to a close I decided to start a new project. Since I got into the hobby I had always wanted to try a restoration, and have the extra time now gave me a good start on it. This project is a lot of firsts for me, and once I get back to work progress will be slow (maybe even Ellis project slow :hide:.... his reason is for quality tho, mine it is hard to say). It will be a rattle can restoration and a lot of details of it are going to change as we go, so it should be fun :). It will not be a fully authentic resto but will have some modifications

The tractor itself is a '75 ST/16 that I purchased in a lot of attachments. It was a mostly complete tractor less an engine which had been taken apart and left in the rain. I have people give me engines quite often so once I get towards the end of the project I will decide on the engine. The 1st and 3rd picture is how I got the machine. The rear rims, weights and hitch got taken for other machines, my spare rusted set of rims were put on, and the front tires were replaced with the take offs from my Dad's Kubota as a spare set of rims having 16.5x6.5x8 6ply tires on it

I didn't take a lot of pictures of disassembly but have it pretty well broken down. The PO liked replacing parts with overkill, the large pulley was for the idler, and once tearing down the front end he had used an upgraded tie rod too. I will be replacing those items back to stock

The nose cone was bolted back together with a steel plate. All of the pieces are there, it is in 3 seperate pieces, so I have been watching videos online on how to fiber glass and plan to try my hand at it. I purchased a DIY kit made my Bondo and plan to try it in the next few days. It probably will be far from perfect, but I don't think I can make it worse :sidelaugh:. It's a nice little project to learn on! If anyone has any nose cone repair tips or fiber glass tips in general I'm all ears!

The transmission was the major part the tractor project hinged on. After pulling the shifter it looks good inside so the project is on. One bolt broke in the rear anchor point so we have been working to remove it. The PO had this rear end out at one point in its life, the shifter was freshly greased, shifter gasket was torn inside before I opened it, brake band bolts were lose, and washers were missing from the rear frame section

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
121 - 140 of 183 Posts
I managed to get the fenders, foot rests as well as I reshot the front mule drive cover. I had just enough paint to finish those parts but will have to order some more in to a local place. I painted them outside and let it dry a few hours in the shed before they made their way to my drying rack.

I also checked and bought another can of the Rustoleum Ivory so was happy to see it wasn't discontinued

I'm also looking for tire opinions. I'm going with Carlisle Super Lugs in 23x8.5x12 for the rear and I'm trying to decide on going 16.6.5x8 firestone tri ribs or go with V61s. Any input?[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I thought that Carlisle quit making the Superlugs in that size a few years ago. But if they are available they are great tires, and if you are looking at good front end steering in muddy conditions I feel the Tri-ribs are the best followed by the V61's.
Reactions: MikMan48
Curious where you got the idea for the fenders. I know Roper used square fenders but obviously not like that...
Waiting to see them on...
I managed to get the fenders, foot rests as well as I reshot the front mule drive cover. I had just enough paint to finish those parts but will have to order some more in to a local place. I painted them outside and let it dry a few hours in the shed before they made their way to my drying rack.

I also checked and bought another can of the Rustoleum Ivory so was happy to see it wasn't discontinued

I'm also looking for tire opinions. I'm going with Carlisle Super Lugs in 23x8.5x12 for the rear and I'm trying to decide on going 16.6.5x8 firestone tri ribs or go with V61s. Any input?[emoji4]

Thanks for the suggestions[emoji4]
I thought that Carlisle quit making the Superlugs in that size a few years ago. But if they are available they are great tires, and if you are looking at good front end steering in muddy conditions I feel the Tri-ribs are the best followed by the V61's.
Curious where you got the idea for the fenders. I know Roper used square fenders but obviously not like that...
Waiting to see them on...
I wish I could take the credit for making them however I bought them off a young guy like myself who made them as a "government job" at a fab shop he worked at. He had them on a B-80 wheel horse and decided to sell them to make new ones as he had trouble finding lights for the 2" holes after he made them. He was going to build a new set for his horse and I bought these and modified them for the Sears. I always enjoyed the lights in fender look on farm tractors, as well as the mini tractors done up to look like farm tractors, so I purchased them. I think they'll look slick but I'm sure it won't be for everyone[emoji4]

Reactions: 4Get GTO
I ended up with a day off yesterday as I wasn't feeling well, but felt bad wasted the beautiful 50 degree day we had so painted the front axle, battery/gas tank heat shield, and the front mule drive hinge cover mount

Reactions: MiniHomesteader
More progress, Mikey. Hope you're feeling better.
Thanks Dave! Feeling a lot better now.

Ordered the Tru Powers last night[emoji4]. Haven't ordered fronts as I haven't decided but there were only a few Tru Powers left in stock

More progress, Mikey. Hope you're feeling better.
Since the weather went cold I fired up the high tech basement paint booth (as its a farm house basement). Old hot water heater box with a rod and a door cut in it.

I realized I'm probably pickier than I should be, but gave the front axle a quick scuff and reshot the viewable faces as well as the heat shield and there was a spot on the seat spring that I kept noticing so did it also. This paint is very tough to have lay evenly on uneven surfaces so takes a little bit of plotting to get it right. If I did another project I probably wouldn't use this paint, but I do love the colour[emoji4]

Once the front axle is dry I can assemble the front end! Will also start working on the transmission!

I like your hot water heater paint booth box and lighting. Anything to help painting when it cools off outside. I did some more painting today too. Temps were in the mid 40s (F) so I painted outside, then quickly ran the parts into the furnace room. Not perfect, but we do what we have to do. :)
Thanks Dave! We have to get creative

I like your hot water heater paint booth box and lighting. Anything to help painting when it cools off outside. I did some more painting today too. Temps were in the mid 40s (F) so I painted outside, then quickly ran the parts into the furnace room. Not perfect, but we do what we have to do. :)
Reactions: tracktortag
I want to give a shoutout to Summit racing. I went to order my tires and since I am in Canada but ship to the USA their site didn't like that (even tho it had the option). I reached out to customer service and Bridget was the nice lady who quickly emailed me back and said for a first time order it is best to call when doing cross border and gave me the number. There phone system was great, Julian was the gentleman who had my tires ordered in under 10 minutes including hold time. It was faster ordering over the phone than even trying online!

I brought them home and of course had to put them under the Christmas tree (I call it my Christmas shrub as it's a little short)

On other progress I'm still working along but not much to show just yet!

What Size are the tires Mikey. You might have said in one if your posts, if so I missed it.
They are 23x8.5x12 Carlisle Tru Powers. I had originally said Super Lugs in my post by mistake. The 23x8.5x12 is the stock tire size for this Sears, it will be on stock rear rims which I believe are 7x12[emoji4]

What Size are the tires Mikey. You might have said in one if your posts, if so I missed it.
Those Tru Powers are going to look good on your Suburban, Mikey.
That's what I put on my 110 round fender only I used 23x10.5x12 which were a bit larger than what came on it. I also went with wider wheels. I thought those looked like true powers. I went with V61's on the front and really like them.
Nice winter project to finish up.
They are 23x8.5x12 Carlisle Tru Powers. I had originally said Super Lugs in my post by mistake. The 23x8.5x12 is the stock tire size for this Sears, it will be on stock rear rims which I believe are 7x12[emoji4]

Reactions: MiniHomesteader
Not to hijack this thread, but got a picture of your 110? I’m trying to decide on tires for my 112 from.
That's what I put on my 110 round fender only I used 23x10.5x12 which were a bit larger than what came on it. I also went with wider wheels. I thought those looked like true powers. I went with V61's on the front and really like them.
Here you go
Not to hijack this thread, but got a picture of your 110? I’m trying to decide on tires for my 112 from.

Attachments

Thanks Dave!
Those Tru Powers are going to look good on your Suburban, Mikey.
Larry your 110 looks outstanding with that combination. It has me leaning towards the V61's

Larry's tractor is never a hijack! Thanks for sharing the picture[emoji4]

Here you go
Made some headway this weekend! When I started this build I had bought the pieces for the "Poor Man's Power Steering" upgrade. Instead of a kit I just pieced it together from Mcmaster-Carr. The part numbers are 2 years old now but should be good

Next up I assembled one side and the other side wouldn't go. It turned out at some point the top of the spindle flange got hit in and wouldn't go over the rim. I stopped by my Dad's as he had some tapered 3/4" drive sockets that fit perfect over the spindle. A few taps and we were in business!

The PMPS installed on the spindles

The front of the rims look good also. I had to cut down new bolts as they are only 5/16 by 1/2" long

I painted a few small transmission pieces as well as the washers to go on the top side of the steering spindles

Other small wins was picking up the hardware to install the side cover and the seat assembly

And I reorganized the parts pile today, its much smaller now! Next up is transmission work and finish the foot rests[emoji4]

121 - 140 of 183 Posts