My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually spend most of my time in the garden tractor forums however I recently decided to step up to a bigger machine (project). I haven't posted a thread so thought I would do a catch up post

I didn't plan to get a larger tractor for another couple of years but the right deal came along. I was looking for preferably a Massey as my Dad has all Massey's, diesel, and around 50hp just as an in between as my Dad has a 35hp FE35 Deluxe and a 90hp 390T

Earl who was a friend of ours who stored some stuff at a barn next door to my parents. We hadn't seen him for awhile and one day a vehicle pulled into our driveway and it was his wife who we hadn't met before. Sadly Earl had passed away in March (88 years young) so his wife contacted us if we could help her into the barn just to see what was in there. We helped her with a lot this summer and she said she wanted to get rid of his equipment that was left as she was living in a townhouse. Knowing the tractor needed a lot of work (even tho it ran and drove) I looked around for info on a price for her and told her what I found. She asked me if I would be interested as Earl always talked highly about my Dad and I's love of equipment and mechanical abilities and she would like to see it go to a good home. Her and I worked out a price that was fair for us both and the Massey came home with me along with 2 bush hogs. With some help from friends on Facebook it was determined to not even be a farm tractor, it was an industrial tractor!

The tractor is a late 70s 20C, which is the industrial version of the very popular 245, and has the factory Massey 31A loader. The data tag is missing, however due to it originally having the classic "clamshell" fenders it is earlier production as they later switched to square fenders. The tractor was repainted Massey Ag colours sometime in it's life instead of construction yellow. It features a 45hp 3 cylinder Perkins diesel, 6 speed shuttle shift transmission, and has the 2 stage clutch option

It's not often I can actually drive a purchase home, but that is only the start!

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,265 Posts
That's going to keep you off the streets for a day or two! :) Nice pickup there and should be a beast when you've gotten all the maintenance done it needs.

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Started with a quick once over. I stripped all the sheet metal off the tractor in preparation to pressure wash it as it had all kinds of crud that was so thick you couldn't see there was an engine :hide:. The rad was also completely plugged which took quite a bit of time to blow out. The tractor was mainly used to bush hog with and you could definitely tell!

There was one hydraulic line on a curl cylinder that was leaking like crazy so it was replaced. It was the only original hose left (original hose shown in the picture). Since the sheet metal was off and the weather was rainy I decided to clean it up. A good scrubbing, bit of rubbing compound and wax made it pop pretty good. It won't win any awards, but I like seeing it brighter!

As the earlier pictures showed the fender skins were missing. A purchased a set from a friend who had a parts tractor. He had one good fender, one poor but useable fender, both rear light brackets and the factory rear taillight! I have to swap the frames from the skin as the fender frame on my 20C are different than the TEA20 these came from. One front tire was very poor also, so my local tire guy found me the exact match for the BKT 7.50x16SL that was on the other side of the tractor. It was the last tire like it in their system!

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's going to keep you off the streets for a day or two! :) Nice pickup there and should be a beast when you've gotten all the maintenance done it needs.
More like a year or 2 :sidelaugh:. Thank you! That is the hope

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to also check all the fluids. I checked the loader and it was quite low. Before I filled it I wanted to check all the other fluids and when I pulled the transmission dipstick it smelled like swamp and was foaming, oh boy water contamination! It looks like it may have spent some of it's life outside.Before I dumped new fluid in the loader I knew if the trans had water the loader would too. So I drained the oil and dove in head first!

There was a half inch of "boogers" across the bottom of the whole reservoir, both filters were ancient, and the bypassing spring fell out of the filter pod in 3 pieces. I priced out all your maintenance items and the local Agco dealer was cheaper than aftermarket on everything! Ordered both hydraulic filters, spring, fuel filter, oil filter, both air filters as it uses an outer and inner element, and the operaters and service manuals.

While I was waiting on parts I made up a go go gadget scraper out of some junk in the shop and cleaned out all the boogers. Ready for new fluid!

The dealer got all the parts and put the loader back together. I also had to replace the return side to reservoir hose as it was original and didn't take the removal nicely :hide:. The manual calls for MF Permatran, however my Dad always uses Case TCH/ Hytrans in all our equipment and backhoes, so to keep it in sync with mine and converted it over. The loader took the better part of 40 litres of oil, but it works great now!

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulled off the tire to change the tire which opened a can of worms. Turned out the rim was heavily pitted, cracked and had rot thru spots. I don't know how it didnt pinch the tube. Threw on a spare we had from a parts FE35 my Dad bought so I can move the tractor around. I have been hunting for front rims as the industrial rims are 5.5" compared to the common 4.5" ag wheels I'm used to. I also noticed all 4 tie rods are loose. This tractor uses hydrostatic steering which means there is no solid link for the steering, all fluid pressure and 2 cylinders. One side has a renoveable end while the other is factory welded to the cylinder shaft so I have to replace the whole shaft. Once the US border opens I will source parts states side as Canada is quite steep for them

Next 2 shots are the cleaned up tractor post pressure washing right before servicing it!

The fluid service came next! Put fresh 15-40 in the engine and the beautiful pea soup came out of the transmission/rear diff. It is much happier now I am sure with some fresh Hytran!

I also had oil tripping from the clutch inspection plate, turns out the front transmission seal is leaking but isn't on the clutch yet. I cleaned it up the best I could and left the gasket off the plate so it marks its territory. It will get split eventually and fixed.
The cutting edge on the bucket has seen better days as this whole bucket looks to appear to have been skinned 2 or 3 times. I will have a welder friend of mine glue it back together for me :)

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Currently I recently picked up parts and hope to make a little progress over Christmas. The tank lift pump was leaking fuel badly, so it turned out to be the same price to replace to pump as to get a rebuild kit. I have the new pump to put on as well as the fuel filter to change at the same time!

The shuttle shift lever also had a ton of slop, which turned out to be the bushings in the dash tower had disintegrated as well as a bolt put where a roll pin should be. I hope to get that straightened out also!

This will be a slow project to follow as it isn't a necessity. It will be a one piece at a time project when work allows :)

Current issues list is:

Manual lift pump
Shuttle shift lever
Front end rebuild
Rear 3pt hitch and diagnose rear pump
2nd stage of PTO clutch doesn't function
Lighting/dash lights
Fenders
Front rims
Front transmission shaft seal
Rear tires (as one you can see the tube thru a hole :hide:)
Fan belt

·
Registered
834 Posts
Very nice tractor does it have the Perkins diesal in it?

Reactions: MikMan48

·
Administrator
18,010 Posts
Yes, here's the description from a previous post.
"The tractor is a late 70s 20C, which is the industrial version of the very popular 245, and has the factory Massey 31A loader. The data tag is missing, however due to it originally having the classic "clamshell" fenders it is earlier production as they later switched to square fenders. The tractor was repainted Massey Ag colours sometime in it's life instead of construction yellow. It features a 45hp 3 cylinder Perkins diesel, 6 speed shuttle shift transmission, and has the 2 stage clutch option."
MikeC

·
Super Moderator
12,023 Posts
MikMan...you may want to try surpluscenter.com for that hydro cylinder that you need....I bought 1 thing from them and I keep getting emails from them with sales...they have a lot of good stuff at decent prices, including any hoses you need....although it sounds like a big project, it looks like you have made a lot of progress in short order..thank you for keeping us updated

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,940 Posts
Mikey, this is a great project for you, and with 45HP that tractor should be able to handle anything you can throw at it.

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice tractor does it have the Perkins diesal in it?
Yes it does Country. It has the D3.152 3 cylinder Perkins!
Yes, here's the description from a previous post.
"The tractor is a late 70s 20C, which is the industrial version of the very popular 245, and has the factory Massey 31A loader. The data tag is missing, however due to it originally having the classic "clamshell" fenders it is earlier production as they later switched to square fenders. The tractor was repainted Massey Ag colours sometime in it's life instead of construction yellow. It features a 45hp 3 cylinder Perkins diesel, 6 speed shuttle shift transmission, and has the 2 stage clutch option."
MikeC
Thank you :)
MikMan...you may want to try surpluscenter.com for that hydro cylinder that you need....I bought 1 thing from them and I keep getting emails from them with sales...they have a lot of good stuff at decent prices, including any hoses you need....although it sounds like a big project, it looks like you have made a lot of progress in short order..thank you for keeping us updated
Thanks Mark I will check it out! I believe I will rebuild the ones I have or get new replacements as they are odd having a tie rod at each end of the cylinder. The power steering pump had been replaced before I got it but leaks all over, which I believe is some sort of seal between the pump and engine block. When the steering gets tore apart I'll dig into the pump too!
Wow, you're really tearing into it. No wonder the neighbor marveled at your maintenance skills.
This has been over the last few months (believe I got it end of September) but finally having a minute to catch up on posts. Work has been crazy busy, so haven't had a ton of free time. We helped Earl with quite a few things, one being the new water pump he has put in this tractor 2 years ago
Mikey, this is a great project for you, and with 45HP that tractor should be able to handle anything you can throw at it.
Thanks Al! Should definitely be a fun toy. Truthfully it was a bit more than expected, but still a solid old girl. Usually work on it for a few things then let it sit for a few weeks before I dive back in

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had started last night but finished up today. I wanted to get the fenders stripped so I can mount them as to not get covered in crud anytime I move the tractor. It was an adventure..

Started with the fender that was in worse shape in case I damaged it. Started off fighting with the light brackets that took some grinding, 2 foot breaker bar, and some tough love but it was off without damage to it. However the impact bit was not so lucky...

This fender had already been repaired before so most of the rivets had been drilled out by a PO and replaced with bolts. The frame was the most rotted I had ever seen. The story goes that the PO lost his license and him and his wife used the TEA20 as their main modd of transportation for a number of years. This fender would have been the left hand (drivers side) fender so the road salt destroyed it! I will try and find a better skin once tractor show season starts, but until then this will do!

Next up was the other fender which was in much better shape. I had read online everyone recommended grinding the rivet head flat and then drilling them out. Worked like a charm and was not as difficult as the internet made it sound (everything I read said replacing skins was a pain). I will install the good skin for now, and clean it up for paint once I find it a mate for the other side!

The light brackets and tail light were my favorite part of the deal. They are very hard to find and are expensive, my Dad bought a parts FE35 mainly for the light brackets as the parts tractor was cheaper than new brackets. They are very rusted so will wire wheel and prime them for now and paint them later with the fenders! Took apart the light and to my pleasure it was all intact with no breaks or cracks in the glass or housing. I will wash up the glass and repaint the housing. Even the bulb is good!

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While trying to keep busy to stay up later as I have to switch to night shift during the holidays I decided to bring in the 20C to work on thru my 2 days off. Had trouble getting it to start the other day, not sure if it was a kill linkage issue or if I forgot to push it in to start but I felt like a dummy :hide:

None the less it got brought in, lit a fire and started at work.
Finished stripping down the light bracket to clean up for primer. One bracket had a small cup that is used for an extremely odd electrical connector. My Dad has it on his FE35 and never found a mate for it. This one the cup was rotted and disintegrated so I cut the cup off for a more clean appearance. Which is when things went south

I'm far from perfect so I enjoy putting my mistakes out there always. From a cleaning mishap the outer ring got launched across the floor and bent. After a few words that would make a sailor blush I picked it up and started body work. It wasn't perfect before but was close

Found a 3 1/2" piece of tube to use as a die as well as a pair of pliers and some patience I got it fairly close. It did have a slight twist so will leave it under pressure over night, as I left it for an hour and it was already helping

I then dragged out my new high-tech paint booth :sidelaugh:. My parents needed a new hot water tank and I told them to save me the box. I don't paint a lot during the winter, but wanted something to catch the over spray and this fit the bill perfect. All it needed was a cross bar and an S hook to hook wires on. All that is left to prime is the other light bracket (which is stripped and ready for clean up) and the ring for the light

The suspense was also killing me so I put on the fenders for a test fit. It seems as if the bottom hole lines up on both, and one top hole lines up per fender. Depending which of the 2 top holes line up does tip the fender forward or backwards just a hair. I will decide which I want to go with and drill the other one to work tomorrow

Hoping for a bit more progress tomorrow :). Having the thread motivated me to dabble at this project a bit more than I have been lately

·
Super Moderator
16,443 Posts
Missed this earlier, I need to get out more often. WOW! Congrats, Mikey! And congrats to your new tractor, it has no idea how lucky it is to have you for a new owner. She's a beauty, bud.............and a Perkins diesel. Niiiiiice. You've done some good stuff already, and as usual, you don't skip any steps. I'll be following your progress with great interest.....very happy for you.

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Missed this earlier, I need to get out more often. WOW! Congrats, Mikey! And congrats to your new tractor, it has no idea how lucky it is to have you for a new owner. She's a beauty, bud.............and a Perkins diesel. Niiiiiice. You've done some good stuff already, and as usual, you don't skip any steps. I'll be following your progress with great interest.....very happy for you.
Thanks for the kind words Ellis! It is a diamond in the rough for sure. It's a headache of a tractor that I seem to enjoy :sidelaugh: Glad you are on board! I don't see many industrial Masseys around, and people I tell who know tractors all get excited that it is an industrial as it's different than the normal farm tractors we all see!

·
Premium Member
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Started off today by starting to clean up the cutting edge to weld back on. I ground down a lot of it but still have to get a cut off wheel tomorrow and grind it further back so it will bend into place. It appears that when someone welded it last time they got more on the bucket and not enough on the edge itself as it is cracking all down its length

After I ground it down I brought it back in and stripped off the hood as well as finished mounting the rear fenders permanently. This was to gain access to the lift fuel pump and the fuel filter. I started by siphoning the tank as I don't trust the shut off and didn't want 3/4s of a tank of diesel on the floor on Christmas morning :hide:. Got the old filter removed and guess what I found behind it? A block heater! Of course, why wouldn't I look back behind the filter under a layer of crud :dunno:. I will find a connector tomorrow to try and see if it works, as I already purchased a new one but the connector is different. I had trouble getting the fuel line out so I decided to leave it for the night and will continue tomorrow.

Another interesting thing my Dad noticed today is someone stole 6 inches of my bucket. I measured it and it's 60" while the factory size is 66". On the right hand side where the stich weld is measures 6 inches from the cylinder to edge of the bucket, while the other side is 13"! By how patched together the bucket is my guess is it was rotted and someone caught it on something and tore the bucket. They patched the bucket and reinforced it (as it has 3 different skins in it). I will keep an eye out for a bucket in better shape

I also wanted to miss all my friend here at MTF a happy and safe Christmas! I don't get on here as much as I used to but am always welcomed back with open arms. I hope everyone can enjoy themselves this holiday season!

·
Administrator
18,010 Posts
Yes indeed, that bucket has been beaten up. Looks like it was tipped enough to use the back side to pound rocks into the ground. :eek: Or a post pounder.o_O
MikeC

1 - 20 of 179 Posts