My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I built a tractor called "the Mighty Mongrel" which ended p turning into my D10S diesel tractor.
This was that thread build- t's lengthy and like a winding path.

Then I started the Mighty Mongrel II which was a 1969 Suburban 12, painted yellow like an SS16 with an onan, dual wheels, and tried to make it a clean build.
I sold this tractor after I finished it because I needed money one summer, but I ended up making a friend because of it, and it is in good hands.

Well, I always regretted selling that tractor, so I got my hands on another 1969 Suburban 12 last weekend for free, missing motor, messed up wiring, and missing most of everything lol. So I decided to make another Mighty Mongrel (#3) and I may either go with an Onan again, or I may dump a 10HP kohler in it that I have. Here are the first couple videos I started on it.

this may be a slow project, but I may run through it quick, all depends on how motivated I am and if I decided to put it together to bring to PA in April.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,078 Posts
My left hand has much in common with yours James :.

I had to remove the remains of one side a rotted drivers side "front of rear" spring hanger off my plow pickup,so I could put a hunk of angle iron on the frame using the original rivet holes in the frame,so I could attach the angle to what little is left of the hanger...
Being riveted,it sucked to remove...as soon as I jacked up the truck,the fuel tank started dripping--leaking right under one of the straps,the one 6" away from the rear spring's front hanger,which is next to the tank...

So,because of the leaking diesel fuel,using my grinder or torches was not a option--I had to drill each rivet out,starting off with a 3/16" bit in the center,then a 3/8".and a 1/2" bit--then I had to chisel off the remains of the rivet heads by hand,my air chisel is a hunk of junk that just makes noise,its only good for cutting sheet metal...I only removed the rivets on the rear facing side of the hanger--the other side still had some metal remaining so I left it intact,I'd have to get the fuel tank off to drill those out,unless I could get at the back side of them..

Using a 5 lb sledge on the chisel to remove one rivet I could not get a drill near,resulted in several glancing blows to my left hand,in about the same spot as yours was wounded...a month later,it still aches at times..I thought sure I broke bones at first,and I had no choice but to keep on working,if I wanted to be able to drive the stupid truck anywhere..
I haven't been able to do much of anything since then,I was so sore after that 3 day ordeal..felt like I'd been beaten with a lead pipe for weeks..

Long story short,I managed to drill five 3/8" holes in what was left of the hanger and bolt it to the angle iron,and bolted that to the frame--I also bolted an old frame mount for a pickup cab to the hanger too,for more reinforcement ,so it might stay attached until spring ,when I can fix the truck "right"--couldn't weld anything,with fuel leaking right next to it..:(...didn't dare take it apart in January,with the threat of snow,and I'm glad we didn't get any here since December (your yard looks weird to me with snow on the ground,its been bare ground here!)..

The frame has a few holes rotted thru where the hanger was riveted on,and it'll need some patching,I think there are a few cracks in it too,it is getting very scaly in the rear too,the drivers side rear hanger is rotting away also,but I can weld that one up--the other one rotted away 7/8th of the way all around,it was hanging on by only some thin rotted metal about 2" long on the upper side of the hanger facing the fuel tank..
It was a miracle it didn't tear off,with all the potholes and frost heaves around here--I had no idea it was rotted so bad--I knew it'd need replacing someday,but never expected it to fail that quickly..
If it had come off,it'd been a disaster--the spring would likely get shoved into the fuel tank,and let the rear axle move back enough to possibly let the driveshaft come out of the transfer case!..

I have not done much with any of my tractors,only one I have used at all is the '67 SS-12,to push a fallen tree off my path out back and drag it to the wood pile,and haul some trees the power company left in my front yard...haven't even moved or started any of the others,and I wont be surprised if mice are in the engines by now..

With my back getting much worse and now my legs & knees are shot too,my days of going out in the garage to mess with things are coming to a close soon,but it sucks because everything I own needs a lot of work (and money) to get them back in decent shape..to fix the truck right will require pulling the bed off it,and I'm not able to lift anything or kneel down for an hour like I once could...that and the fact I had to blow every cent I had to get my roof & chimney fixed left me without any spare cash to spend on anything since November..just glad it didn't snow here,I'd have been in a bad situation if it had..

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.that and the fact I had to blow every cent I had to get my roof & chimney fixed left me without any spare cash to spend on anything since November..just glad it didn't snow here,I'd have been in a bad situation if it had..
You did finally get your roof fixed though? that's a good thing at least. I had a tree fall and blow out my living room window a couple weeks ago, and with oil this winter, I have been pretty broke as well. Trying to sell tractor parts and stuff to supplement my income, and ended up having to pay an extra $800 in taxes :( not fun at all. I make good money, but it seems I never have any. hoping that changes soon.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,078 Posts
Yeah,I did get 1/4 of the hip roof re-shingled ,the front part facing the street that was leaking and that stained the ceilings in the house--was lucky the plastered sheet rock "popcorn" ceilings didn't just crumble and drop to the floor ,by the time it was done..they used synthetic underlayment and GAF shingles,but the other 3 sides of the roof are still the original 42+ year old shingles--the roofer said I'll probably get another 5 years or so out of them before they'll start blowing off..hope he's right..by then I may not be around to worry about getting the rest of it replaced..

They took off the top two courses of bricks on the chimney and replaced them,poured a new cement cap on it,and added a stainless steel cap (which I don't feel was made to the right size,but it covered both flues,just not the whole top of the chimney like I'd have liked it to)..I'm not really happy with the chimney job,but I couldn't do it myself..

...this cost me $4,040 ..which took me 6 years to scrape up..also had to shell out $1200 for property taxes in November,and this past month..:(
For $2000 more I could have got the entire roof done over--IF I had that much,but I didn't..

I cancelled the comcast cable tv last month,I cannot justify paying almost $100 just to watch tv for 30 days,when my electric bill to run the whole house only costs about $35 a month..

I'm not regretting going to an antenna,there is more shows I like on over the air TV than I had on cable--the reception it "iffy" though--it'll come in perfect one day ,and not be watchable the next..digital sucks compared to analog..but at least it is free and I can still watch some TV..

Of course my truck had the spring hanger issue and refusing to start crap happen shortly after I had to blow all that money on the house & taxes ,when I had no money left to fix it or credit card to order the parts for it (that can only be had from 3 places online)...so I've not had a very good winter,but I'm glad it didn't snow at all since December here..would have been in a world of hurt if it had..been very lucky as far as no snow and it being much warmer than usual..

This is the best photo of the new shingles--I do have pictures somewhere in the computer of the chimney,but cant seem to locate them right now..

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the best photo of the new shingles--I do have pictures somewhere in the computer of the chimney,but cant seem to locate them right now..
It definitely looks a lot better. Glad you're keeping it going, and keeping the insurance guys happy. It stinks that you don't get out to the garage much any more. I can say this winter, I haven't done a whole lot either. I have spent a couple 2 hour stints in the garage working on this or that, spent about 3 hours Saturday working on my lights on my truck, and changing my oil, and my back was sore yesterday, but I slept about 8 hours last night (much more than typical for me) and i feel a lot better today.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had several updates on this over the last few days - locked the rear end, put it back in, clutch in, repainted the frame and fenders, and getting ready to paint the grille

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
15,000 +posts!
20,078 Posts
Rustoleum did change their formula to a more "environmentally friendly" one years ago,I liked the original formula better--it had fish oil base and was thicker,and less transparent..the new stuff doesn't kill or repel rust as well either..

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have also been repainting a Roper RT16T clone over the weekend, should have done separate videos, but I did a Mashup...

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't done too much to these other than paint some parts, have to start cleaning up the motors and getting those in running order again. Using two motors that have been sitting a while.

·
Super Moderator
29,518 Posts
Glad to see someone is getting some painting done! Both machines are looking much better, won't be long till you have them back together again and ready for plow day 2021!!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't updates this post in a while on this, wow. Well, the Mongrel III is almost done now! After a couple months of work, in between finishing my kids tractors, waiting on parts etc, I just about have it done! Starts with the flick of the key, and purrs!

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
29,518 Posts
I haven't updates this post in a while on this, wow. Well, the Mongrel III is almost done now! After a couple months of work, in between finishing my kids tractors, waiting on parts etc, I just about have it done! Starts with the flick of the key, and purrs!

Really sounds good! Nice job on that restore!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been watching it off and on so that when plow day happens next year I'll know what machines you might bring! (y)
yeah, I really have no idea at this point. Probably the 679 again, The Mongrel III, Maybe the ST12 if I get all the little things worked out, probably the D10S again, and other than that, I don't know

1 - 20 of 20 Posts