My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you know me, I've been looking for some time to find a Jacobsen Lawn King reel mower to go along with my Jacobsen Lawn Queen reel. I've come across a couple over the past couple of years, but both were across the country and shipping was well.... ridiculous.

I browse CS every so often and when I do I usually always through in a search for one of these mowers hoping that one day one will pop up that's in my area. Well, today one did appear.:) I don't know exactly where it is as the seller did not specify their location, but I'm hoping that since it came up under my search in the Seattle area, that it should not be too far away.

Anyway, I sent an email off to the seller this morning asking a few questions and briefly where they were located. They stated in the ad that the engine will need to be rebuilt or replaced-?. They may just be saying that because it has been sitting along time so they are just assuming that it will all need to be all gone through or 'rebuilt' before it's fired up again. Hopefully that's just the case. I did ask them to specify if that's what they ment, or if there is actually something wrong with it like it's seized up. If that's the case, that's not good as the 521 engine is very hard to find and have not actually ever seen one for sale before.

From the pics and description it sounds as if it is all there and looks to be in pretty decent original condition from what I can tell.

Will keep you guys updated...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/1859254097.html

·
Registered
227 Posts
Looks promising, I hope you get it. I would love to see the restoration of the lawn king since your lawn queen restoration was so spectacular.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks promising, I hope you get it. I would love to see the restoration of the lawn king since your lawn queen restoration was so spectacular.
Thanks, we'll see what happens.

Antique Jacobsen "Estate 26" motorized/self propelled reel mower w/ catcher.
That's quite the asking price for that Estate!

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the seller wrote back to me with good news and bad news. Good news is, he's very close to me. Bad news is, the motor is seized up he says.

Here is what he wrote:

"Austin,

The mooter is seized up. It has not ran for over 20 years. The mower is complete and the only damage is the throttle cable is broken and the tires are deflated. We have not attempted to put air in the tires so I can't tell you is they are deflated of if the tubes are bad. The structure is very solid, it is free of rust and the gears are well lubricated.

As the ad states, it has always been stored in a garage since the day it was first purchased.

It is located in Shoreline, about 20 minutes or less from Kirkland.

If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to give me a call.

Michael"

Soooo, I'm gonna do some thinking on it. I really am not sure about the seized up motor. I did however have a Jacobsen 321 engine that someone gave me a while back that was seized up and I did manage to get it unseized, so I do have a little experience with that. I am most likely going to email the seller back and ask if it is seized up because the wrong fuel mixture was put in it (bad bad) or if it is just seized up from sitting. If it is simply seized up from sitting, than that is better. Once I find that out, I'm going to talk with somebody who know's these engine's inside and out better than I do and get some advice from him before I do anything. As much as I would like to have this mower, I just don't want to get it only to find out the motor is toast the way it is and I also have no way of replacing it, therefore I really could do anything with it.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, here is what I wrote him back:

Hi Michael,

thank you for the info. Is the motor seized simply from just sitting a long time, or was the wrong fuel mixture put in it for example and that is why it is seized? Would like to know more about that. As you probably already know, parts for these mowers are extremely hard to find so you really have to work with what you've got.

I've got a 1949 Jacobsen Lawn Queen reel mower that I recently just restored and have been wanting to find a Lawn King to go along with it for sometime. It is the first that I've found that is close to me. I have found a couple of others over the years, but both were across the country and shipping prices were through the roof.

Anyway, thanks again for the info on it, sounds like the mower is in really nice condition for it's age especially being that it has been stored indoors all it's life. My main concern is the seized motor as again, finding parts for these mowers is near null. If it is simply seized just from sitting a long time, unseizing it should not be much of a concern but if it is seized from something else like having the wrong fuel mixture in it, then the motor may be toast. Hope you understand and don't want to sound like I'm comming across rude either.

Thanks again for your time.

Take care,

Austen

·
Registered
283 Posts
Austen, I am happy that that are some people left in this country who take the time to write clear, thoughtful emails with complete sentences.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Go for it Austen! You've been looking for one of the Kings for a long time. This one looks like just the ticket.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spoke with the owner again and he assured me that it is simply seized from not being ran for twenty years and not because of something else like having the wrong fuel mixture ran in it. I'm going to set up a time to go see it this week. I think he's selling it for his parents as he states that it's at his parents house and will have to meet me over there. I don't want to be too picky as these things are hard to find and is also the style I have always wanted to find as well that has the front "grill cover".

Anyhow, I find it pretty cool how it is still owned by the original owner after all these years. That would be a pretty neat story.

If I get it, you guy's will be seeing it!!:fing32:

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had planned to meet him this morning, but some commitments for work came up and ended up messing things up. Felt really bad!:banghead3

We rescheduled for Friday morning. I'm sure I'll come home with it.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
****, Im getting anxious to see this little jewel! :D

·
Collector Of Junk!
233 Posts
Can't wait to see it! Remember :wwp::wwp:!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts