My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I see tons of people asking for advice on riding mowers. Thought I'd ask about welders.

I am a backyard hack, and so far just weld to fix things. Self taught along with You Tube. I have a cheap Horrible Freight 90 amp wire feed flux core that works OK, not pretty but nothing has come apart. So since I use this seldomly I might as well get a lot better one. Looking to keep the welder under $1500, and would like it to do anything I might ever encounter.

Following parameters:
240 volt with option of 110
Mig capable
Capable of stick although I have never done any stick
Tig not important
Portable not real important, I'll probably keep the cheap HF if I had to take one somewhere
Capable of handling heavier metals.

Looking real seriously at Miller 211 but leaning to the Miller 215.
Good deal on Lincoln 210MP right now with rebate but a lot more like Miller from what I am reading. The welding shops both say the Miller is much more bulletproof due to boards on the Lincoln have had problems if used in a portable environment.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
I have an older 211 (bigger cabinet than the newer ones) and very happy with it. Course, it's MIG only. I've had it about 5 years now, and it's had no problems for me, using 220V., used it on up to 3/8" steel. I self-taught myself to kind of weld with this (I'm not that great at it), but what I've made has stayed together (multiple ramps, custom attachments to mowers, 4wd system in my truck).

For more prolonged welding on thicker stuff (1/4" and up), I'll switch to a stick buzz box (think it's a lincoln, I inherited it from my dad, probably should take it apart and figure out how it's wired as it's been customized a bit with separate a/c and d/c outputs). But most of my welding is with thinner stuff, so I use the 211 the majority of the time.

I have considered getting a combo unit from Home Page - Plasma Cutters, TIG, MIG and Stick Welders by Equipment Innovations , likely the PTAC-500 which does stick, tig and does plasma cutting as well, as I'd like to see how well TIG welding works, and the plasma cutter would come in handy.

·
3,246 Posts
I would stick with Miller, Lincoln or Hobart.....I am not an aficionado of welders, but when I was looking to get a welder, these names kept popping up as the desirable brands...I wound up with a Miller Maxstar...strictly stick ( it does get too hot for any thin metal) ....but it is a good machine, runs 120 /240 definitely need a 20 amp circuit for the 120....I run it off a Honda inverter / generator when I need the 240, rather than wire something out in the garage.
If you read some reviews of the ones mentioned above, and they sound satisfactory....it is a good price for some versatility

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a Hobart 190 Amp it's my first Mig Welder and I really like it. Just use the Flux Core wire and welds anything that I need it to. I did find out that there is definitely a difference in wire.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like the Hobart mig welders. I have 2. I also have an old Linde stick welder which is an old one not made any more. I use C25 gas with my mig. It does not work in wind outside. Use stick or Flux core. I believe you can use dual shield if you have a big enough machine.
I had a hard time picking up welding myself. So I took a stick welding course at my local college in the late seventies. No internet back then. You had to learn it from a book. I recently took another mig welding course last year for fun.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,237 Posts
I found a Craftsman welder about 2 years before I retired.. I retired at the end of 2011.. the welder puts out 200 amps..it was made in Italy.. I can make a 5\16 weld with it.. It take a tank of welding gas.. It will a also weld flux -core..

since I welded for a profession for 30 years..

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well there is one more make and model I have thrown into the mix, the Hobart 210 MVP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Hobart 190 Amp it's my first Mig Welder and I really like it. Just use the Flux Core wire and welds anything that I need it to. I did find out that there is definitely a difference in wire.
What have you found to be the "BETTER" wire to use?? I have tried T/S vs. HF and find HF wire to be cleaner than the T/S. less splatter and smother final welded product!
NickD

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
243 Posts
What have you found to be the "BETTER" wire to use?? I have tried T/S vs. HF and find HF wire to be cleaner than the T/S. less splatter and smother final welded product!
NickD
I like Hobart .035 fluxcore the best

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man I never catch a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My neighbor is a retired electrician and he installed the new 230 volt receptacle this morning. He said he has a plasma and TIG set up he will sell cheap.:headbang::startled::hair::picard:

No details yet, in for a penny, in for a pound.

·
3,246 Posts
Don't look back...you actually got a great deal...you didn't say what you paid for the gas...but with that size bottle of gas you are set up pretty nicely ...and what he is selling would be nice for cutting steel neatly, but you wanted a mig welder...you said TIG not important...you were willing to go for 15 hundred bucks...if he is selling that set up really cheap....go for it....but you will need different gas for the plasma cutter...use your new machine in good health...best of luck with it

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
243 Posts
Don't look back...you actually got a great deal...you didn't say what you paid for the gas...but with that size bottle of gas you are set up pretty nicely ...and what he is selling would be nice for cutting steel neatly, but you wanted a mig welder...you said TIG not important...you were willing to go for 15 hundred bucks...if he is selling that set up really cheap....go for it....but you will need different gas for the plasma cutter...use your new machine in good health...best of luck with it
Plasma cutters don’t use gas... they use compressed air. Tig, however, uses a different gas

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I've heard many comments regarding people being unhappy with Airgas. I normally buy bottles and did for my Oxy/acetylene torch. But a lease for a 80 CF tank filled with C25 was $105 for 5 years. Or $21 year. Just filling the tank is worth $60. Farm and Fleet wanted $289 for an empty bottle plus filling.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,237 Posts
at Gomaco we used 95/5 gas.. I had to buy my tank also..

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well been off a few days snowmobiling, (it was a blast BTW).

I hit a snag trying to find scrap metal to practice on. Went to a few places including a metal scrap yard and no luck, the scrap yard would not sell small amounts to a peon.

I stopped today on the way back from up north snowmobiling to a place that is close that happened to manufacturer drags for groomers. Hit it off with the owner who is a snowmobiler and he let me go "dumpster" diving. He sheared some 12 gauge and I picked about 100#s of scrap, some up to 3/4". Got it for free, he said I was welcome to come back. I will bring donuts for the boys.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts